Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD Card Reader suddenly stopped working - Help please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Will.James

Will.James

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 545 with Windows 7 Home Premium that I bought last July, never had any problems with it until yesterday. For some reason my SD cards have stopped being recognised, even though I use them all the time to transfer photo's from my DSLR.

When I insert any SD card Windows does not recognise it (no sound, no autoplay), and the drive does not appear in Start-->Computer anymore. I checked Device Manager and there are no warning signs/errors etc, it says it's working fine.

I tried the thing to stop hiding empty drives but that doesn't work either - when I click one it just says there is nothing to read from. I've also uninstalled the drivers so they automatically reinstall, and checked that they are up to date - this hasn't worked either. I've searched it on Google quite a lot now and can't seem to solve the problem....

Any idea what it could be? This problem is really frustrating and I can only think it must be something simple to fix that I've not thought of?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Will.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

The machine has been in your possession less then a year?

I know it may be a hassle but I would suggest you take advantage of the warranty.

#3 Will.James

Will.James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Sorry I got it in July 2009! But I did buy an extended 3 year warranty as part of the deal (bought direct from Dell). However I'm finding their suppor centre application very poor and it's not helping at all - it even says that I'm no longer allowed to use technical support via webchat for some reason, so I have to pay a fortune to phone them.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated :)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have tried to find information on your computer, I came up with two model numbers the 545MT and the 545ST.

Your computer is a desktop computer correct?

Which model is yours the 545MT or 545ST?

I will see if I can find something from the support web site that could possibly help you find out how to resolve this issue.

I am providing one link to the Dell support web site with various downloads.

This link refers to the inspiron 545 desktop.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=inspiron+545+desktop&cat=sup&ref=ac

Until I know more about your system, I prefer not to offer much assistance until I am sure I am providing the correct information.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 February 2011 - 06:53 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

Just adding another link here to the service manual for the 545 see if this information offers you any solutions.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp535mt/en/sm/index.htm

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

check in device manager ,under disk drives ,card reader should show there ,delete it and reboot windows to reinstall drivers

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Will.James

Will.James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I think I have the 545MT, I know its the bigger one of the two - I'll check for certain when I get home later. I will also try those links too, thanks.

#8 Will.James

Will.James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

Caperjac,

Also thanks for responding. I have already tried deleting the drive and it reinstalls the drivers fine but didn't help the prob at all :(

Edited by Will.James, 22 February 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#9 Will.James

Will.James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Bruce,

FYI I have the Inspiron 545MT (desktop).

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Caperjac,

Also thanks for responding. I have already tried deleting the drive and it reinstalls the drivers fine but didn't help the prob at all :(

so you did ,sorry i missed that when i quickly reread the post ,the cardreader should be plugged into the motherboard may have come loose

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Will.James

Will.James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

No problem.

Sorry I forgot to mention that the green LED on the drive comes on when I insert the SD card, but no response - so I'm guessing it's plugged in fine? I will check anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users