Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd drive not recognized?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 letitsnow009

letitsnow009

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

I am not tech savvy but I'll try to explain my situation as detailed as possible.I want to transfer data from an old hdd( ide, from desktop running XP) drive to a new one ( newer laptop running windows 7). My laptop has alot of storage, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I got an external hdd enclosure for the old one. I set the old one to slave . The enclosure is connected as a USB device. My laptop recognized it, but it failed to install the drivers. So then I changed the jumper setting to master for the old one. My laptop was able to install the device driver ( it had a green check mark )BUT then the old hdd is nowhere to be f0und. It was not in my computer, device manager, or BIOS. So the drivers are installed but the device is not showing up anywhere. The old drive I want to get files from is a seagate IDE. I even downloaded seagate discwizard and it didn't find the old drive as well, only the new one. I checked the hdd enclosure and the led lights was green the whole time, but after a while it turns red, green , to red agian. I really want to transfer old photo's/videos to my new laptop but I can't seem to access t he files. Also, if worst comes to worse ( as in I really can't get my old photo's/ video back) how do I uninstall the driver for the old drive from my laptop? I cannot find it in add/remove programs, thank you.

also , the laptop I am planning to use to transfer files to is a dell inspiron n5010 running windows 7

Edited by letitsnow009, 21 February 2011 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Enclosures should specify the jumper setting to be used on IDE/PATA hard drives. Did you read/follow those?

Ditto for installing drivers for the enclosure, although most should just be plug and play...not requiring any drivers.

Lastly...try attaching the enclosure to a different system, trying to narrow the focus on where the problem lies (enclosure versus drive versus your new system).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users