Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting redirected from google searches

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bhoppe

bhoppe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

I am running Windows XP professional and using the IE browser. When I do a google search and click on the desired website I am redirected to various directories. If I type the exact URL in the top line I can get around it. I have run Norton, CW shredder and Spybot. Spybot picks up 8 items (DSO exploit- 5 entries;Double click - 1 entry;Avenue A Inc.- 1 entry and Mediaplex - 1 entry). However, when I click to fix, I get a window that says they are fixed but, if I run another scan, the same items are back again.

I should also add some history. Previously (last week) I had been having a problem with some malware that would intercept my browser with a variety of warnings i.e., bogus scans that purport to have discovered a whole list of malware on my computer. Also warnings that would repeatedly pop up with different content and block all my attempts to open my browser. This malware would identify itself as "Windows XP Anti-Spyware" and would suggest that I buy the associated software on the Windows XP Anti-Spyware site. Again I ran Norton, Spybot and CW shredder but nothing showed up. The only way I was able to get around it was to go to system restore and select a back date (January 31) before this problem started. My feeling is there is still a lot of junk in this computer and, while I was able to get around it sort of, the redirect problem is probably the tip of the remaining ice berg. I should also add that this computer was given to me a few months ago so I don't know its long term history. My feeling is that this may require the Combofix scan and, since my reading of the material on this site suggests that this be done with help from someone in the forums, I'll wait for a response from someone here. I do have the Combofix program downloaded and have read the tutorial for it. In the meantime I'll wait for a response from this forum. Thanks for being available and for all the good work. This is such a much needed effort.

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2011 - 05:12 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gault0405

Gault0405

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hello! If someone can help this person, they'd be helping me too. Pretty much the same problem. Any thoughts?

#3 bhoppe

bhoppe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Since my first post I have an update. I have run the Kapersky Lab killer scan and the Malware bytes scan. The killer scan found nothing and the Malware bytes found 7 and did a cure. However, the google searches are still being redirected. I would apreciate some help. Thanks

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

We will need a deeper look as those tools are not producing. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users