Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No access to programs on slave drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mel-L

Mel-L

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi all. I have recently upgraded my hard drive from a 40GB IDE to an 80GB SATA, I set the IDE to slave as I wanted to use it for storage. I have re-installed Windows XP on the SATA but the slave IDE still also has a copy of windows on it. The problem I have is that I can not access any programs stored on the IDE, when I try to start a program I get a DLL error. Is my only option to image the slave drive or is there a way to get access to the programs?

Thanks for the help.

Mel

Asus M2n-SLI
AMD 3800 X2
DDR2 800 - Mushkin
40GB IDE
80GB SATA
Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

You will have to reinstall all applications again on your SATA Drive.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

<<I have re-installed Windows XP on the SATA but the slave IDE still also has a copy of windows on it.>>

You cannot run programs on a different Windows install (such as Win1) from a different install (Win2). The registry entries, files, etc. to run a program all lie within the O/S where the programs are installed and they can only be run from within that particular install.

If you are trying to run apps on your second/IDE drive...it doesn't sound like you are using if for storage.

Louis

#4 Mel-L

Mel-L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hi, I left my password manager on the IDE drive and was wanting to get the passwords back. If I image the disk will and put the image on the primary drive will that solve the problem?

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

You can image the old drive to the new drive and everything will work. But the best practice since you already installed a new OS is to reinstall all of your programs and transfer over the relevant files from the old drive.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Seems to me...it would be pretty simple to just make the old drive the boot drive...access the data, copy it...then switch drives.

Louis

#7 Mel-L

Mel-L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hi, As Louis says I think I'll make that drive the boot - just didn't really want to as it's an old 5600rpm drive.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Louis`s suggestion was to only do it temporarily.

Depending on the PW Manager you use you might be able to export the file\data you want to your new drive while it is hooked up as a slave. Then swap the drives back around. Install the PW manager, if not already done, and import the data file.

Of course you would still have to install all other programs on the new drive as well. Since as noted, they will not function from the old one unless booted from.

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 February 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

As Baltboy said...you could have avoided all this maneuvering...by simply cloning the old drive to the new one...rather than installing Windows anew on the new drive.

It's still in the realm of possibility, at any time :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users