Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Yahoo acct hacked??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Me and a fam member (I will call her "Claire")are daily sending each other emails with pics; As well as texting each other by cell phones texts & pics messages.

Now, About 1 week ago, somehow my YAHOO email sent "Claire" an email with a picture. She opened up the email and pic attachment via her blackberry phone. The then replied back from her phone commenting on this pic. The suspicions started when she asked me later about the pic and I told her I never sent her that email....

4 days ago she said she got 2 more emails from this same YAHOO email acct (mine) and the subject line weirdly had expressions that only me and her use. But before opening email, she asked me if I had sent them. I said NO. So she deleted them without opening them.
She then blocked my YAHOO email address from sending her emails to her yahoo acct....

However, today she got an email with a similar email acct name to my blocked YAHOO acct. One letter was the different in the address AND it was from AOL email acct (not yahoo).... Ironically, Back in 2002, I used to have this very same AOL email acct but closed it probably in 2003/2004 or so.

Is this issue with YAHOO mail itself, or any of the 3 computers that I use...

Heres what I have done so far.
* I ran malwarebytes on all 3 computers that I use...So far all comes out clean...
* I changed my password on my yahoo acct.
* Note that in my YAHOO sent folder, there is NO indication that the bogus emails were sent to her.
** Also, Of the 3 "weird" emails sent to Claire, some of the dates point to 2003 (whether in the subject line, date sent, or the date on the pic)..So maybe this helps somehow knowing that dates are old.
** It appears that no one else in my address book (that I know of) is getting any bogus emails. Just claire.

Also, since Claire opened up the first bogus email using her blackberry, is her blackberry infected?

The weird thing that may be a key here is the super Old AOL email acct I used to use that no longer exists.
I also sent a email to that AOL acct using a GMAIL acct I have to see if the AOL is a valid email address that someone is using...Well mailer daemon bounced it back so the AOL acct is not even valid.

Please guide me to what I need to do.
I thank you in advance
All 3 computers I use run Windows HP home edition. All have sp2.
I use Firefox or IE both.

Edited by azyardies, 21 February 2011 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

Sounds like someone is sending email as you, but not actually accessing your accounts. How can they if the aol one does not exist?

Could this be someone playing a bad prank on you too? Had she replied to any of them and received a response?

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi Grinler:
I don't think its a prank like someone is out to get me personally. Just typical hackers randomly doing their thing.
And its true that I don't know how they can send email from and aol acct that does not exist. And how did they know that it existed once and belonged to me?

One thing that I have noticed many times in the past is I get spam (mostly pharmacy type spam)in my yahoo acct that says it is from me> to me.
For exam: In the From line it says: MyYahoo acct name@yahoo.com>>> the subject says the subject and sometimes my email acct included in the subject line...

So How are they (spammers) able to send me messages but mask their email address and add mine (as if I am sending it to myself).

I dont think my issue is rare, but how can I fix it..Is this a Yahoo problem?
About the AOL acct, Can there be information on the OLD AOL acct stored on one of the 3 pc's I own that could have been accessed by the hacker?
I ask this because I have used a program before called "System info for windows" or SIW (by Gabriel Topala). If you are not familiar with this program,, you run it and it gives you info on your computer. Once when I ran the program, It showed old email accts and passwords that I hadnt used or had in years. Like maybe they are stuck in the registry or somewhere...So maybe the hacker went somewhere pretty deeep in my pc to get the AOL acct info..Just saying.
thanks in advance

Edited by azyardies, 22 February 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,715 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

And its true that I don't know how they can send email from and aol acct that does not exist.

Its easy to send email from an account that does not exist. They would not be able to respond to it, though, which is why i asked if there was any back-and-forth conversation occuring with that email.

And how did they know that it existed once and belonged to me?

That's why I am wondering if its someone who knows you playing a prank.

As for the spammers, it is very easy for them to send email as someone else. I wouldn't read much into that.

Btw, what was the picture that was originally sent to her? Was it something personal or a random picture?

I say all of this because 99% of the time people think they have been hacked, they have not. Most hackers would not waste their time "toying" with their victims. They get in and get out with whatever they were looking for.

#5 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi Grinler:

Btw, what was the picture that was originally sent to her? Was it something personal or a random picture?

RANDOM pic I think....She saw the pic from her blackberry, so it must not have looked clear or big enough to distinguish a person in there . She replied back to me when she got that pic asking me if that was a family member in the pic. The pic itself was not in her reply message so I then replied back to her saying, "What pic"?

Wow its scarey how you say its easy for someone to send email pretending to be someone else.....But Like i said too, I get lots of spam from me to me (pharmeseutical or other type)...

But how do they get a hold of my contacts to send this to?. So far, that I know of, Claire is the only one receiving these emails from "me"...

So is there anything to do at this point?
Thanks

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,715 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

The fact that Claire is the only one receiving the email makes me feel like its someone you both know.

If you feel there is something lurking where it shouldn't, as you have already changed your passwords, my next suggestion is to do a scan with the following scanner:

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Also, I suggest you install Windows XP SP 3. SP 2 is no longer supported.

Do you use remote desktop on any of these machines?

Do you have a hardware firewall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users