Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problems: how to fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mongrel614

Mongrel614

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Recently, my computer has kind of been acting up and I've been hoping to fix it, but I'm unsure as to how to upgrade it, so I was hoping I could get some help here as to how to cure the problems I've been having. Here are some of my issues:

My computer often freezes. In fact, it's almost on a regular schedule. Every time I turn it on, there's a pretty high chance that it will freeze in maybe 10-20 minutes and need to be restarted. After it's restarted, it operates fine (or, at least, it doesn't freeze again until the next time I turn it on)

Games operate poorly on my computer, even on the low settings which should be easy for it to handle. Black Ops and Starcraft 2, for example, are incredibly frustrating to play; their frame rates are often through the roof and there are frequent instances where it will freeze briefly (which, for either of those games, can utterly bone you). Furthermore, it seems to take a while to load; I am usually around the last to finish loading in games. This seems to get worse the longer the computer has been on, though restarting it can ease the problems a little sometimes.

I run Windows 7, but I suspect that these problems are hardware related. I regularly check for spyware using Spybot Search and Destroy, and I have Avast for security, so I don't think it's a virus problem. I've tried defragging my computer but it said it had 0% fragmentation already. My video card isn't the most recent, but it's still pretty good for its time (I think it's an Nvidia Gforce or something?). I'm not terribly knowledgeable about computers, so if you need any information in addition to the info I've already given you may need to tell me how to get it too.

So...what is the problem with, probably? I've had people say they suspect it's my processor. Is that a safe suspicion, or are there other things this can be? This was originally a custom built computer built for me by a friend, so I know I can modify it, I just don't know what parts to replace or add =/

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hi,
Please download this... http://www.piriform.com/speccy ... it will give us more insight into your machine there for more help in sorting your issues out. also can you look into the event veiwer ... start> type... event veiwer ... into search> event veiwer look for any critical,error or warnings and post back with them.

Iain
p.s...
in the speccy report if it shows your windows key please delete it before posting!!!!

Edited by odin88, 21 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Mongrel614

Mongrel614
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

This is what the Speccy summary says:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium D 940
Presler 65nm Technology
RAM
2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-31)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
L1733TR (1280x1024@60Hz)
320MB GeForce 8800 GTS (nVidia) 81 C
Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device
AVAVAH 2RGHYVKTY SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

320MB GeForce 8800 GTS (nVidia) 81 C
your card is running pretty hot, if you are comfortble in opening your case to delve around in, i suggest buying a can of compressed air and giving the inside of your machine a blow out, take particular attention to the cpu and graphics card fans, remove the ram modules and give the gold contacts a clean with an eraser or alcohol wipe making sure to reseat them firmly back into the slots, if you have a spare ram slot i would also advise to get another 1gb stick, the more ram the better!!! if not then i would run a crucial scan here... http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx ... this will scan your system and tell you what upgrade and type of Ram your machine can take, 32bit OS will only use/show 3.5GB of ram so putting more than that amount is fruitless!!if you only have 2 slots i would go for 2 sticks of 2GB ensuring that they are IDENTICAL as this will help in the running of your machine,Windows 7 will only run basic with 2GB of ram as that is it's minimal requirements and as you have only 2GB installed you will find that certain games and app's will lag quite a bit.
*WARNING*
before opening your case make sure that you have disconnected the power (remove kettle lead) press and hold the power on button for a minimum of 30 sec's to dissapate power held in the capacitators, ground yourself to expel any static by touching a radiator or tap, be carefull when inside the case, check that all cables are firmly seated and connected properly before powering up the machine.

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users