Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

playing cd's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

I have a Packard Bell laptop runing XP. I am having trouble trying to play an ordinary disc. Is it a software problem, or is it my phisical player.
I have played them in the past and burnt discs in Alcohol 120%, but it comes up saying insert a disc which i have already done. so i don't know what has gone wrong.Is it any good trying system restore. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Is the problem with just one disk or all disks?

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Maybe try a disc drive cleaner. I've had the same problem, and a disc drive cleaner worked. It'll clean dust, hair etc, on the laser.

#4 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Than you. it seems to be all discs. I have read that these disc cleaners arn't all they are cracked up to be and can end up scratching your discs.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

I'd avoid disk or laser cleaners if I were you.

Here's what I'd like you to try please:

1) Insert a disk you did not create (a Windows OS disk or a retail program disk). Does the system see them? If not, then

2) Insert a BOOTABLE disk (an original Windows OS disk or any other bootable cd or dvd. Make sure the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

Look in Disk Management. Any errors? Did this start immediately after you installed Alcohol? Does the drive show up in Windows Explorer?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

This is a Packard Bell. Is this system overseas?

The reason I ask is that Packard Bell hasn't existed in the US for a very long time.
If this is a US system the drive would be well over 10 years old and may need to be replaced after that age.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

If this is a US system the drive would be well over 10 years old and may need to be replaced after that age.

Hence the test to see if the system can see the drive at boot with a bootable disk :)

#8 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:28 AM

Thanks. I haven't got a bootable disc. I have had Alcohol a long time,and I am at the moment in Spain but i am from the U/K and everything worked over there if i remember rightly. When i put an ordinary cd in, it doesn't show up in my computer, and doesnt play. Yet i can play a DVD o/k.Is there somewhere i can look to find the player that needs to play the discs to see if that is o/k, if that makes sense.Thanks

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

It's common enough for the CD section of a dual laser to fail, and the DVD section to still work. From the fault description, there's a very high likelihood that is the problem, and the simplest way to prove it is Allan's suggestion of a bootable CD. Any borrowed bootable CD will do, eg a computer magazine cover CD is often a Linux Live CD.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users