Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Probs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scorpion9929

scorpion9929

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

Hello i am running windows 2000 my computer will not shut down no matter what I do...Out of 10 attempts to shut down it may actually happen once
Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:21 AM

I had this recently happen to a machine. I use the chkdsk command from the REPAIR CONSOLE.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

How do you shut down the other 9 times?

Experience before and its all about patience. Your system is running some programs at the background and there must be missing files and it is trying to close certain program.

Try not to force shut down as each time you do that, you will prompt more issues. If the shut down does not bother you, leave it to shut down and observe what happens...thats the way to shoot down the problem.

you can also do a ctrl+alt+del and see if your processor is running high and any programs running at the background when you bootup.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:08 AM

Sometimes something as simple as a corrupted sound file will prevent shutdown.

Go to your control panel, click on sounds and multimedia, and shut off the "goodbye" sound.

Just a guess because I have seen this happen several times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users