Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHAT is up with Google Freezing Accounts and DEMANDING CELL PHONE NUMBERS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

GOOGLE has seen the last of me.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I am locked out of my account apparently because I was dumb enough to start a blog on Blogger and when I did that they said my account was compromised.

It has not been compromised except by them.

They won't open it till I give them my mobile phone number and guess what I don't have a mobile phone and even if I did who is Google to DEMAND I give them the number.

I desperately need the documents I have stored on my google account and I don't have time to read ten million prior questions just to be told i need to give them my mobile number or else.

How do you contact Google?

This has certainly taught me a lesson. I heard about Google reporting private stuff to the government and I guess this confirms you can't trust google for a second?

I don't know what I'm going to do, the court is not going to take google for an explanation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Are you sure it is Google requesting\demanding this information?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

It is possible your account has been compromised and google is attempting to verify your account via the following method: Account verification via SMS or voice call

This is merely a hypothesis on my part from the information you provided. I don't know of another reason for demanding your 'cell phone number'.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Are you sure it is Google requesting\demanding this information?

No really I'm not sure. Based on the number of people who have gone to the google question board it has happened to a lot of other people and the message/answer seems to be the same, i.e. that you have to do the mobile number thing.

Which I find strange and more than a little annoying because I have had similar occurrences (why is it always with google/gmail?) and in order to get it back, I had to tell them the name of another of my emails to which they would send something as to how to change my password.

That is annoying too but it is something that can be reasonably accomplished. So why NOW are they demanding this alleged mobile phone number to do what they used to do otherwise?

Annoying and mysterious and vexing, indeed.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

It is possible your account has been compromised and google is attempting to verify your account via the following method: Account verification via SMS or voice call

This is merely a hypothesis on my part from the information you provided. I don't know of another reason for demanding your 'cell phone number'.

I dunno. Like I was saying above, I have (always strangely only google/gmail) had this warning of having been compromised before but it was dealt with in a manner that did not require having a mobile number. I am suspicious because I did once have a mobile phone and it was a prime target for people adding things on (charges) that it was next to impossible to get rid of.

There are other ways to handle it and for google/gmail to just assume first of all that I have a mobile phone and secondly that I wish to give the number to them is wrong.

They mentioned "suspicious activity" and I have to say the only suspicious activity has been that of google, who has gotten their fair share of bad press over their privacy policy.

Even if you are right I do not have a cell phone so how can I check that? Or am I missing something?

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

The only thing going on yesterday and when the account actually got locked, I had started a Blog on Blogger which is google/gmail connected and I was making lots of revisions to it, in and out and so forth. It was something I was using in context with my Ancestry research project.

If that is what caused it then everyone should be warned that having a Blogger account can cause you to lose access to your email.

I'm just working around trying to recreate (unnecessarily) my legal research and documents, retype and all. Grrrr is the thought (the only polite one) I can come up with just now.
:dance:

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

I am SOOOOOO frustrated. i can't even get access to half the places because my email account is frozen so my name and password don't work and everywhere you go you put in the information and it just keeps going in a loop.

I just said on an alternate site for HELP at google that I couldn't do the mobile phone thing and the option was to have them send another code to your MOBILE PHONE and maybe that oen will work.

i have had so much going wrong in my life this is just one more thing.

i WILL NEVER EVER trust google anything, no broswer, nothing

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hello kcsummer,

In case you didn't notice yet, your topic in the log forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic379784.html has been picked up. Your helper awaits your reply.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

where do you mean? about the virus check and stuff? okay i will look

INCREDIBLY, I can't believe this is happening

I just got LOCKED OUT OF MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TOO, I'm in an endless loop of changing the password after i read the captcha numbers and then it won't let me out until I swear I have changed all the other passwords for every email i have and screw them.

because now i keep logging in and they keep freezing my account until i change the password and then the same thing over and over.

these TWO THINGS WITH GOOGLE AND NOW FACE BOOK ARE WHAT WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN THE COMING POLICE STATE I GUESS

#10 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

i JUST tried to get a message to facebook but i couldn't send one because i can't log in, this is nuts. I agreed to have https on my account and thats when WITH ALL THE SECURITY that I got locked out. This is INSANE.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

Google is asking for a phone number. It does not have to be one of yours. It could be anyone's cellphone. Friend, relative, etc.
They are protecting you and me.
Then there is the Facebook thing.......looks like your computer has been seriously compromised and I would not recommend
doing anything with the accounts until you get an all clear from Mole and the Malware Response Team.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Google is asking for a phone number. It does not have to be one of yours. It could be anyone's cellphone. Friend, relative, etc.
They are protecting you and me.
Then there is the Facebook thing.......looks like your computer has been seriously compromised and I would not recommend
doing anything with the accounts until you get an all clear from Mole and the Malware Response Team.

I appreciate your opinion however I'm afraid I don't trust either Google or Facebook as they are both notorious for doing things not in our best interest.

As to the Facebook issue, I can't get on there because i refused to do as they suggested and go to each of my listed e-mail accounts and change the passwords on their sayso. Their system has me in an endless loop of changing my Facebook password and I'm surely not going to subject myself to the same or worse on my other mail.

I would say that this all started when (apparently Facebook SAYS they are making great efforts to keep us safe) I got an email detailing their new system and suggesting I opt into the https mode available which I did.

Once I did that I got another email about other changes to my security account asking me to agree to further changes and I stupidly responded by clicking one of their links which appears to be what set the whole thing in motion. It was through their link that I got into all this trouble and it has nothing to do with security I'm fairly certain based on what I found exploring the web and other complaints just within the past month or so. It appears to me that Facebook and Google are trading dirty tricks. I found some more recent than this last night but just for quick reference Read on and beware: :angry:

http://ocunwired.ocregister.com/2010/11/16/facebook-deactivated-let-us-know/

http://www.allfacebook.com/verify-facebook-account-2010-09

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100913134406AAacupW

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:15 AM

I signed up for a sham account with Facebook. Odd isn't it that these things happened within two days.

Well, when I signed up for my new facebook account I found changes.

UNLESS I give them either my credit card number or my cell phone number I have limited access to "stuff" on there, which, imo, proves my point, the both of them are on an information mining adventure and that is what this whole thing comes down to. :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users