Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 10.04 Install disk won't work?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

Well, about 5-6 months ago, i went on Canonicals site and ordered 1 free Ubuntu 10.04 installer disc. I've been trying Ubuntu lately, and I've really come to like it. So i decided to take the plunge and dual boot my PC with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Only problem is that the CD won't cooperate with me. When i start up my computer, it takes me to the Ubuntu CD menu just fine, but everything after that is a failure. If i select "Live CD", the CD displays 20-30 lines of code, and then just stops doing anything. No CD read light, no anything. All i can do is type at the command line it gives me, and it does absolutely nothing, necessitating a hard reboot. It's the same thing if i select "Install Ubuntu", only the lines of code this time say something about something terminating unexpectedly, i can't really tell. All of this happens, then the disk detects my hardware such as USB Peripherals, then freezes, this time without accepting any input. This also happens if i let the CD run on it's own. Now this would normally sound like a bad CD to me, except that i can successfully install Ubuntu using this CD from inside a virtual Machine on the same computer. Anyone knows what's wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Are your specs listed in your signature block?

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Yep!

EDIT: I let the Live CD option go for a few minutes to see if it would go anywhere, and this time it actually got to......... a kernel crash! Or at least what looks like one.

Edited by jnk1296, 21 February 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Can i have permission to feel like an idiot now? :wacko:

I went googleing and came across a couple of different suggestions for making the live cd work, and i finally got the the cd to boot up with "nomodeset".

But wait! There's more! Then i managed to get ubuntu installed!

But thats not all!

Then i decided to boot my new OS up, and can you guess what happens? I get no splash/boot screen, and the system boots to command line!!!!!!

I tried

sudo restart gdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

sudo startx

None of them help! and typing "startx" just sends me to a totally black screen, forcing me to reboot.

Is there anything i've done wrong?

EDIT: replacing "Quiet Splash" with "nomodeset" on the boot line gets me into low graphics mode.

Edited by jnk1296, 21 February 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

It appears to me that your video card may not be supported by Linux at all.

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Supported Hardware, In the supported hardware section, my processor should fall under the second listed "HD". But at this point I'm so confused...

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I said your video card not your processor.

#8 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

OK, three things. 1: I don't have a video card! 2. My graphics are integrated into my processor!!! 3. I apologize for my attitude, this is just one crappy day...

On a side note, if i installed windows before Ubuntu, and installed Ubuntu side by side with windows on another partition, can i just delete the Ubuntu partition, or has Ubuntu over written my MBR?

#9 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

When your system boots to the command line .
Type in your user name that you set at install and press enter
Now type your password ( won't be echoed ) and press enter

Now Type XFdrake and press enter - now you should be able to select your video card and the correct driver using the arrow keys
on the keyboard and the enter key.

After you have completed that you will be returned to the command prompt
Now type startx and press the enter key and you should be taken to the desktop.

Hope this helps !

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

I know your video card is integrated into your CPU its still a Video Card none the less.

#11 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

@Ramchu I will remember that, but um....., i kinda just gave up on ubuntu and undid my dual boot (Insert face-palm here). Guess i kinda thought there was nothing left to do... oops. (chuckles cautiously/nervously) :whistle:

@cryptodan alright. I guess you could call it a video card.

But yeah. Basically i just went into my system repair options about 5 minutes ago, did a fixmbr, and made ubuntu go bye-bye! So i guess thats out of my system for now... I can almost guarantee i'll be wanting to try again sometime in the next 6 months. Still, thank you both for helping.

Edited by jnk1296, 21 February 2011 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users