Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Locking Up

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TeeDee

TeeDee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hi All

I have a problem with my PC locking up. It can happen at any point during use, but is most frequent when starting up and shortley after, (all though as stated, it can happen at any point). This is a long time problem, that is gradually worsening.

I dont really have much information to offer. I have no warning that is is about to do this. When the PC freezes, my hard drive light is at first still flashing away to indicate that it is working, then it stops dead. Sound turns to a rapid echo.

The only way out of this is to hit the restet button, I cant get task manager up, move the curser or do anything else, my screen just freezes.

I seem to have days where my PC will require from 1 to 4 resets, and then will function normally, then I can have days where the problem is so bad, I want to throw it out the window.

All ready tried, formating the C Drive, reinstalling windows, this had no efect. I use Avira anti virus, which detects no problems, Spybot S&D, only ever picks up one cookie (right media I think its called)

This weekend my husband tested the memory (test left running over night) and the hard drive the following day. The memory test showed nothing. Nor did the hard drive tests.
There is a problem with s.m.a.r.t., he disabled this temporarily, but this also made no difference.

So I was talking to a friend, saying I was going to do a full format and start totally from scratch, not using any backed up files what so ever. I dread doing this as I know how long this would take!

He reccomended I try some new software to check for malware. This was his reccomended list:
Combofix...I didnt use this as your site says not to, unless told to by a 'Helper'
Malwarebytes...Showed up nothing
Superantispyware...found lots of tracking cookies (which I removed)

So, thats about it. If there is any more information about my system you require, please ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TeeDee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Boot to safe mode and see if the problem occurs there please.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

If you can please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for speedy replies!

PC has been in safe mode with no problems.

I will get 'Speccy' and post the details, all though I'll have to do this tomorow...bed is calling and have an early start in the morning.

Speak soon

TeeDee

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

If the problem does not occur in safe mode it may very well be a problem with something that is starting with your system. First thing I'd do us update all drivers. Go to the website of your computer or motherboard manufacturer and check for an updated chipset driver. If there is one, install it. Then go to the websites of your other hw manufacturers (video card, sound card, nic, etc) and download and install their latest drivers. Reboot and see if the problem continues. If not, end of story. But if it does we need to find the problematic process. It's a bit tedious, but it's efficient:

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible we're looking at a hardware related issue.

#6 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/S1XCWk7rw6mH8gMe4FgKmWE

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

I see that you have nForce chipset and services associated with nVidia Network Access Manager. I would like for you to go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove it. It has been known to cause issues with system instability.

What kind of power supply do you have?

When was the last time you cleaned out your computer?

Perform the following:

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#8 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hi

Power supply: OCZ900MXS

PC is due a clean, I use the spray can air for this. This was one of the first things done when the problem started, had no affect.

Ran this memory test over night, 15 passes, no errors.

Updating drivers as we speak.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Did this computer come preassembled or was it built by you?

If it was built by you then I would take it all apart and check to make sure that the motherboard mounts also called Stand Offs are snuggly fastened to the motherboard tray. Any loose connections can cause shorts, and shorts can cause PC lock ups.

There is a strong possibility that your power supply could be providing dirty power which can also cause PC Lockups.

#10 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

PC bought pre assembled from Aria.

Have uninstalled nVidia Network Access Manager.

#11 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Updated - P5N-D BIOS 1401

Chipset Driver 15.24 for Win 32bit XP Package
Nvidia display driver (left this one out as we have issues updating the GFX card drivers, and dont want to run into this at this time)
SMBUS Driver
SMU Driver
Away Mode Inf
Ethernet Driver
Media Shield
HD Audio Driver

Razor Naga Driver v3.01

Have left the GFX driver alone, as every time we try to update to latest version, we get a black screen on reboot. We have two identical PC's, identical builds, and have the same problem with both. Have been in touch with the manufacturers, have tried updating the bios on the gfx card (this was done on the second pc, not this one) nothing helped.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Nvidia display driver (left this one out as we have issues updating the GFX card drivers, and dont want to run into this at this time)

Did`t see it mentioned. Apologies if I missed it.

When updating drivers you are going to the OEM site to check for newer versions? Not doing it through Device Manager?

Also. Have been seeing a lot of reports on Nvidia driver instability\problems with any vers. after 10.5

Just throwing it out there to see if it sticks.

#13 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hi

Sorry, I didnt mention the gfx issue before this. Its a problem we have had since first trying to update after purchase.

Yes driver updated (or not as the case may be) from manufacturers own site. Asus and Razer.

Edited by TeeDee, 21 February 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

You want to install the HD Audio, Ethernet, Media Shield, and the Away Mode.

What issues are you having with installing GFX Drivers?

#15 TeeDee

TeeDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Every time we try to install the latest drivers on either pc, they black screen after the reboot.
After continually trying to update, we eventually contacted the manufacturer, but as their advice didnt resolve the problem, we basically gave up trying.
Have installed the above mentioned.

Ok, so I think I have installed everything needed, (unless some one thinks of some thing else I need) So, I will continue with normal pc usage, and see how things go...so far today, I have had no lock ups :) But as I some how can have the odd day with out this happening, I wont say problem fixed just yet, thats just asking for trouble.

But I'd like to say thanks guys for the response and help so far!
*keeping fingers crossed*
TeeDee

Edited by TeeDee, 21 February 2011 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users