Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade RAM on HP device to run Win 7 (+wipe hard drive)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Apologies if I should've been able to figure this out based on previous threads. I have an older PC with 160Gb hard drive, and AMD Athlon ™ 64 bit processor that currently has (1) 512mb memory stick in place. I am fairly green when it comes to computers (but taking a class to cover computer basics and unfortunately, now, I am having problems with my system). I am given to understand that the memory sticks "should" be 'plug and play', that so long as the pin configuration and Hz is the same, I should be able to use what fits. I was thinking to replace the stick that is in there, and fill the other slot available so that I would have (2) 1Gb sticks in place. Besides ensuring that I don't buy memory that isn't compatible with the system, my other problem is that I am going to have to wipe the hard drive (infection that I can't get rid of). Not a big deal, I would think, except when we knew nothing about computers we purchased this one at a big box store, and the sales person led us to believe that we didn't need backup disks, and that the OS was safe on the partition. This has been a problem for the first time, now. Previous infections were able to be healed by using system restore.
So I am wanting to wipe the hard drive, upgrade the memory, install new OS, and then will need to download the drivers that I do not have a backup disk to provide.
I have a functioning laptop that I can use to download drivers, etc. to disk or flash drive in aid of the process.
These are the things I have questions about (unless one of you sees an error in my thought process)
1) knowing I have a DDR, 400, 184pin stick in place, do I need to shop for anything specific? (ECC, non-parity?, because websites carrying the products have much to offer, but seem to only "match" me with 1 product out of their line and wondering how this would be)
2) Can I plug in the new RAM, load the OS from software disk I purchase, then go online to download the appropriate drivers? (or, should/could I find the drivers ahead of time and burn them to disk, not using the computer that they are to be installed on?)

ETA make/model HP Pavilion a1118x

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Angie

Edited by Barefoot2, 20 February 2011 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Knowing the make and model of the PC in question would be very helpful.

Regarding drivers. If I were you my first check would be for drivers\Win7 support for the machine in question. To do this go to the PC manufacturers site and enter the requested information to find your particular make and model.

Would also suggest running the Win 7 upgrade advisor.

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Sorry, it's HP Pavilion a1118x

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Looking at the support on the HP site seem`s to indicate your PC will support Win 7. Be aware that some programs you are now running may may not run on Win 7.

Here is the HP page on how to determine memory upgrades for your PC.

If this is an infection problem then you could always visit the AII forum to see about getting it cleaned up.

Still proceeding with the memory upgrade if you wish. 512 is pretty much considered a bare minimum. At least doubling to 1 Gig, or more would give you a noticeable boost in performance.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

Get 2 of these.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Update-
I have memory coming in on order, so hopefully I will soon be up and running again.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

Will be waiting for the outcome :)

Edited by killerx525, 28 February 2011 - 12:17 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Well, I have the new memory sticks in place, and they are "running" with the computer. It looks like I may have been mislead by others about what graphics capability I have on the system. The motherboard is an Asus K8S-LA (or Salmon GL6E, as it's other name). It currently has 1 AGP 8x for the graphics. My understanding is that I *should* be able to add an upgrade for the graphics, but I have yet to determine what, and if it will be sufficient to support the OS (7). So I will go back out and surf some more for the info I need, but as before, any help is greatly appreciated.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

Windows 7 has Aero which some old graphics card can't do which Aero becomes disabled. This card is a good upgrade for the graphics.

>Michael 

#10 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

I am still wanting to install the upgade on the graphics, but since I had the OS disk in hand, and it recommended running a compatability test (through microsoft), I went ahead and did it. I wanted to clarify what it was telling me, so I got on with their customer support. He wanted me to try to run the installation. It wouldn't go through, and it gives a specific arror code (0xc00000e9). He says that it is not recognizing the hard drive. He did talk me though having a boot disk for xp (but not for my specific computer) delete everything on the hard drive (I suppose in case the existing virus was somehow causing the problem), and it did re-install xp (although how usable it will be without the "proper drivers", I don't know). He didn't seem to think that there should be a reason for it to take the xp, but not "see" the hard drive for installing Windows 7. One would like to think the support team for microsoft would know whether or not the difference is in the size/capability of the drive, but he didn't seem to think so. Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

Kind of and what compatibility test are you talking about?

>Michael 

#12 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

Instruction 1 in the packet said to go to windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor. This site runs a scan of the computer properties, and tells you where you may have problems. It said my graphics may have a problem with aero (which, if it still runs without the aero glass shell, but will run with a 'different' window appearence, then initially, I am ok with that.) Other than that, there were 2 issues, I'll have to run it again to see where I stand now. I initially called microsoft right after the check to see if any of the alerts would hinder the install, but they said go ahead anyway. As I stand right now, I have functioning xp, but I am unsure of the accuracy of drivers because of using the Dell disk. I am trying to go through and download any available through hp's website.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Pretty much your good to go.

>Michael 

#14 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have success in installing 7 for the OS. Oddly enough, the download advisor AND the ms support tech recommended using the 32 bit disk for install, even though it has a 64 bit processor. He said that it would "run more smoothly" or some such statement. I figured I had nothing else to loose, and tried it anyway. Now, I have to search out drivers again because it 'dumped' everything in process. On a side note, I took a chance and ordered my OS software on eBay, since I've been replacing everything from unexpected appliances to the printer which we accidentally dumped on the floor while trying to troubleshoot our virus problem. I was supposed to be receiving the full family pack, and I expected 3 distinct product keys. Instead, there is only one. The seller had 100% positive feedback with multiple sales, and so I took a chance and trusted her. Am I supposed to use the same key 3 times, or was I shorted the other 2?
Thanks for all the support,
Angie

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

I believe it is the same key.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users