Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question, Im Installing A Video Card.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 absofflab69

absofflab69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:36 AM

I have recently purchased a Radeon X850 Pro AGP and there is a 4-pin power connector that comes with it. I have an emachines model T3256 and my computer is compatible with this card as far as i can tell but when i went to hook up the power connectors I didn't have 2 open sockets for the 2 connectors. They are suppose to plug into the hard drive and power supply.
I do have a one 4-pin socket but it is not apart of my hard drive or my power supply directly. Its hanging in the middle of my computer not being used for anything. That one socket is connected through wires to my hard drive and then from my hard drive it travels through more wires until it eventually ends up in my power supply.

Breifly my question is can i plug one 4-pin connector (remember it comes with 2 i need to plug in) into this socket and will it work if i do it? As i said this socket eventually leads to my hard drive and then my power supply. In case your wondering i have integrated graphics right now. I would greatly appreciate an answer quickly.

Edited by absofflab69, 18 December 2005 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

Yes you can connect to the free power plug. You can purchase a Y adapter that will allow yo to share hat one power plug.
The concern I have is will that power supply handle the extra load. eMachine, HP, Compaq, and others are bad about putting just enough power supply with no room for high power add-ons like you graphic card.
The big computer manufactors have a history of propriotery part, including power supplies. The worry would be a regular $40 PS would be $100+ if you have to buy it from eMachiine.
Also low voltage. Low voltge from an over taxed PS may cause problem for other componants.
It may be a none issue but it maybe worth waiting from response from other members.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Edited by acklan, 18 December 2005 - 10:51 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 absofflab69

absofflab69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for replying first of all.

Next i want to understand you correctly, I have to buy a Y adapter to plug both of the connectors into.(I can't just plug in one of the connectors and leave the other hanging.)

Other replies are welcome.

#4 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

You don't HAVE to purchase a Y-splitter to run your new video card/ it would be a good idea to buy one as I understand you now no longer have any available 4 pin molex power plugs left ????

you would be best served to pay heed to the PSU warning given by poster above >>> he is very correct >>> manufactured computers come with a bare minimum PSU and very low quality at that !!!

and your new video card is a power hog (as demonstrated by the need for its own 4-pin power plug :thumbsup:

your video card will consume at least 45watts of power >>>> I guarantee you dont have that kind of headroom (extra available) in your system's capabilities / an underpowered PSU can cause everthing from freak auto shutdowns to burning motherboards, hard drives, video cards, ram sticks you NAME it / a freaked out PSU can give some very difficult to diagnosis problems even over heating the CPU !!

I strongly suggest you grab an ANTEC SP-500 (500 watts) >>> they are the hot deal right now @ $68.00 for a very high quality PSU do yourself a BIG favor and avoid the low priced generics like you would the bird flu !!!

I think you have lucked out in the department of compatibility / I dont believe E-machines use proprietary PSU's >>>> many of the older Dell's do and also Compaq & HP

good luck and enjoy

joe

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

linderman thank you for your comments. You need to make sure the new power supply is compatible with the eMachine motherboard. I would hate to see you buy a power supply to see it not work.

Welccome to BC linderman

#6 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

yep! as stated above check your PSU, you'll need something like 350-400 watts and atleast 18amps on the 12 volt rail (20+ to make sure). All this information can be found on the side of your PSU.
The ATI X850 is a power whore and someone said above that it will use about 45 watts, well i think it is more like 80+watts, maybe even 100+. i'll google it in a minute and find out.
It's not only PSU power that you'll need to run it, you'll also need a fast processor and some decent ram to get the best from it, or your system will bottleneck in games and cause lag and stuttering. Anything less than a 3.0GHz P4 or a AMD 64 then i would consider going for the x800 instead, but thats just my opinion.

Chief.

P.S. just done the google on your card and could not find the x850 pro, but here is some of the others................ x850xt pe = 92 watts . x850xt =95 watts . x800 pro = 87 watts . x800xt pe = 98 watts

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 19 December 2005 - 12:34 AM.

#7 absofflab69

absofflab69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Thank you all very much, you have been quite helpful.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

You are welcome. Especially if we help keep you from making a boo boo.. :thumbsup:

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:59 PM

OHHHH Yeah >>>>> thats a shade over 200 watts for just the video card and CPU !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users