Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet disconnecting frequently

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reinforce

Reinforce

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hello Ladies and gentlemen,

My internet, weither it be online gaming or just browsing, keeps disconnecting on me on a random time table of 15 mins. This problem started yesterday and the odd thing is that there are a few other people using the same modem and connection don't seem to be having any problems.
My modem is a davolink 2020 and i am using Windows XP and i am hardwired to the modem

I have tried everything i can think like reseting the modem, reseting my computer, direct connection to the modem instead of using a switch, scanned for virusses and malware (did find some malware but it should be removed), tried updating my driver of my network adapter but after a restart the network connection disappeared completely so i did a rollback, i tried to ipconfig/flushdns and i didnt make any changes when it started happening.
I did however have bad ping for a longer period of time and some random disconnectings during online gaming but i figured that was just because someone was downloading or torrenting at the times.

In short i am completely out of ideas on how to fix this?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Do tell if any more info is required.

Edited by Reinforce, 20 February 2011 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Try using a different cable. Micro cracks in the wiring can expand during usage and cause disconnects. Even though you replaced the driver there may be problems with other windows files related to the adapter. Uninstall the driver using device manager, then uninstall the device, restart the computer and when it asks for the driver use the new one you downloaded.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

You say some malware was found and someone was downloading torrents. I'd suggest you visit the Am I Infected forum on this site and make sure your system is clean.

#4 Reinforce

Reinforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Try using a different cable. Micro cracks in the wiring can expand during usage and cause disconnects. Even though you replaced the driver there may be problems with other windows files related to the adapter. Uninstall the driver using device manager, then uninstall the device, restart the computer and when it asks for the driver use the new one you downloaded.

Uninstalling and updating did'nt work ill try using a different cable tommorow.

O and the only way for me to get my internet back is using the repair button in internet properties/local area connection/support section but it only restores it for said 15 mins.

Thanks for the quick reply and help

Edited by Reinforce, 20 February 2011 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users