Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install .NET framework, any version

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi, all.

I've got an XP SP3 build desktop siting on my repair desk. It had a bad stick of RAM in it, causing lots of BSODs and failed installs and upgrades. Solved that, ran CHKDSK /R to correct the directories and now updates nicely.

However, in installing the newest ATI Catalyst Center, I discovered that .NET Framework is not installed on this machine. I did download the standalone installable packages, but they always crash and roll back. I've done my research and have manually removed everything I could. I ran the >NET Framework cleaner that is all over the MSDN blogs and the NET framework verfier (all editions not installed).

So, I am sitting here with a clean computer and no way to get NET framework on it.

Can someone offer me the way to the promised land?

Thanks,
OneRing2Rule

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

What version of NET are you trying to install?

You should install the Framework 3.5, SP1 download, then install the Catalyst package.

I would uninstall the ATI package, if it is now installed...install 3.5, SP1...then install the ATI package.

NET Framework 3.5, SP1

Louis

If you get an error, post the exact error message and the details of what point it appears.

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#3 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

First, thanks for helping me, really.

Okay, I uninstalled all of the ATI Radeon package except for the driver (had to see the screen, right?) and rebooted. Then, I downloaded the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from your link. I ran the install, here's what I got and I'll reply again with the install text.

OneRing2Rule

Attached Files

#4 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

...and the install log is too large for uploads here. Should I split it up and upload?
OneRing2Rule

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

I don't ever use install logs :), it should not be necessary.

EDIT: The error message onscreen is more important, IMO...than the logs you attached.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#6 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52317486@N03/sets/72157625972683963/

Best I can do. Please help....

Michael

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hello,

Do you get a "failed to install" error message?

A while back I had problems installing the .NET framework updates. I even took the drastic measure of uninstalling ALL of the .NET frameworks that were installed. I could download the files, but it failed at some point in installing.

I finally, after many hours and two days of swearing, figured out what the problem was. A specific service was disabled. If that service is disabled, the .NET framework will not install.

Right click on My Computer, click on Manage then Services. Once the Services list populates, check for the following service which should be near the top:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service

Under Startup Type, see if it says Disabled. If it does, right click on the service name and click on Properties.

Change start up type to manual. Once that has been done, then start the service. .NET framework should now install.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help, but I'm running XP on this box. Your service isn't part of the OS. It's not there. Prolly is on Vista and 7.

OneRing2Rule

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

The mentioned service is indeed on XP.

It is not native but unsure which NETframework version installs it.

#10 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

OK, but it isn't on my box.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

That is likely related to the failed install attempts of later vers.\service packs. I do`t recall seeing it on my one PC that does have NET installed until a fairly recent update.

So unfortunately the suggested fix will not work in this instance.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

OK, but it isn't on my box.

Cuz you removed all dotnet :whistle:

I ran the >NET Framework cleaner that is all over the MSDN blogs and the NET framework verfier (all editions not installed).

#13 OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

LOL.... Okay, so how the hell do I get it installed? Why is visualstudio8 coming up as the error message?

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

Was not able to view your provided video. So I was not aware of the Visual Studio 8 error.

Is it shown in Add\remove programs?

Have zero experience with the program but would seem to be NET dependent. Perhaps the issue needs to be addressed looking at Visual Studio first. Then working backwards to NET.

Added: From doing some Googleing it seem`s the two are interdependent. Or at least NET is needed to use Visual Studio.

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 February 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

It is not native but unsure which NETframework version installs it.

@ThunderZ: Service installs w/ 2.0 or 2.0 SP1.

@OneRing: Take a look here, the problem may be w/MSI software: When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603" (I noticed Error Code 1603 in one of the logs you attached)

Windows Update error code "0x643" and Windows Installer error code "1603" are generic error codes. Typically, these error codes mean that the update was not installed. These errors codes are usually caused by a corruption in the .NET Framework installation or by an inconsistency on the MSI database state.

Method 1: Fix MSI software update registration corruption issues

For more information about how to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 971187 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187/ ) How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link in the 971187 article.

It may be worth a shot.:unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users