Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious redirect?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darryl 1

darryl 1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

I noticed when I signed out of hotmail, instead of being taken to the MSN homepage, I was redirected to a site called beautyoftheweb.com, which prompted me to download IE9. I did some searching around, and it does appear to be connected to Microsoft. But if it is legit, why would Microsoft need use such a suspicious redirect to get people to download their software?

Whatever it was seems to be on a timer or something, because I haven't been redirected since.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

Was this the site? http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/6796262e-2100-4ec2-a805-52e4e1ca8aab

MSN is part of Microsoft. IE 9 has been released.

Without out knowing the exact site it is hard to say if it was legit, though irritating, or not.

#3 darryl 1

darryl 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

No. The url of the site ACTUALLY was www.beautyoftheweb.com, with redirect/hotmail or something like that inserted at the end.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:53 AM

Annoying but apparently true. This from 11th Sep 2010:

IE9 Will Launch On BeautyOfTheWeb.com

Microsoft has been hiding IE9 from users and enthusiasts alike, shrouding it in secrecy like Apple does before a product is launched. This definitely puts Microsoft in a very tight situation since it cannot fail like it has done with IE7 and IE8.

The motto of IE9 is Beauty of The Web, and we definitely want to see it to believe it, considering that IE has always been a pain in the posterior for developers and designers alike.

Above from an article by Keith Dsouza on 11 Sep 2010. click here for full article. Ignore bogus registry scan ads, on that webiste.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 darryl 1

darryl 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Well, that's good I guess. It still seems a little over the top if you ask me, but at least its nothing to be worried about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users