Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no time server?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

so im kinda new to this site, and was wondering if i could get some help.
I run a Windows 7 64 bit operating system, and lately, my computer clock has been wrong. at first it said i was back in 2005, (uh.... not since the last time i checked haha) and for some reason i couldn't access the settings. i tried accessing it by right clicking the clock on the task bar and selecting adjust date/time. no such luck. so i tried going through the control panel, and again, nothing. ive attempted restore points, and countless virus scans to see if that might be the problem. nothing. so i finally went through my BIOS and changed my clock to the appropriate time, and it stays there, (yes i did change the BIOS battery to check that route, and it wasn't that). ive done different searches online to see if i could find something to help, but nothing has come up. however, today, i tried going through the command prompt. i ran the code

C:\users\*******\net time

i seem to always get the response, "could not locate a time server." so im seriously lost, and any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated haha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

What do you mean by 'couldn't access the settings'?
If you left-click on your clock, click change date and time settings, you should have an option to change your time zone and such. Are these grayed out or something?
If so you might not have administrative rights for some reason. Log in to an administrator account if you have one and try.

#3 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

What do you mean by 'couldn't access the settings'?
If you left-click on your clock, click change date and time settings, you should have an option to change your time zone and such. Are these grayed out or something?
If so you might not have administrative rights for some reason. Log in to an administrator account if you have one and try.

by "couldn't access the settings", i mean, whenever i right click on the clock, and select the adjust date/time settings, nothing opens. all i get is the waiting symbol, and then nothing. nothing ever opens. same thing with going through the control panel.

#4 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Try Start>Run: "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL timedate.cpl"

Without the quotes.

#5 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

ok, nothing happened. haha still cant access anything. this is really weird...

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

See this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243574 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

thanks, but unfortunately, those links were for windows XP OS. not compatable with 7

#8 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

It seems that you're missing the system files to adjust the date/time. A reinstall of Windows would probably fix it.

#9 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

It seems that you're missing the system files to adjust the date/time. A reinstall of Windows would probably fix it.

is there a way to get the system files WITHOUT reinstalling windows? haha anyone know a site that has such drivers and things?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

If your system clock went back 6 years...there's a good chance that your CMOS battery is failing.

Which might also explain why you cannot time/date synch.

Louis

#11 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

replaced the battery. twice actually, and nothing happened. i went through the BIOS, and changed it to the current time and year, but still, cant update from Windows

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

So your system now reflects the correct date/time data?

I would try running chkdsk /r, see #8 at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html .

Louis

#13 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

ok, well that didn't help. but while it was running, i had an idea, and i want someone elses opinion before i try it.
i have all the files that i need for the time/date applications to run, however, i think either something is blocking it, or the files are corrupted. what if i deleted the files that correlate with the time/date application, and then run a separate program that would scan and fix my computer, thus fixing the files. possibly regcure or the chkdsk again. anyones opinion?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

<<...and then run a separate program that would scan and fix my computer...>>

No such program, unless you mean a reinstall of Windows...AFAIK.

If you have key system files missing which are now known by you...I would think that you would consider the possibility that there are more key system files missing...which are yet to be discovered.

Running chkdsk /r is not a bad idea...but it doesn't overcome every type of problem that could exist.

You could always try running System File Checker, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Louis

#15 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

ok, i guess i surrender. new question haha is there a way to reinstall windows without having to reinstall all my programs and everything? because theres some programs I dont have access to the settings, and cant change. i dont know why though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users