Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about motherboard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Squishy41287

Squishy41287

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to find a replacement system board for a broken HP G 60 535dx. Not much is known about this laptop as I was given it for free and I would like to try to see if I can fix it. I have no paperwork on it. When I opened it to look for the parts number, the system board was missing. I've found the parts manual, but there are multiple system boards http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01602064.pdf (page 77) Without knowing the parts number, how do I know which one to pick?

Oh, if you click the link you may have to press F5 a few times

thanks in advance :lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

the problem with laptops is they have custom built motherboards just for that model. You would have to find a used motherboard from someplace like ebay for that specific model laptop, and chances are youd need new CPU and memory as well, and depending on how much else is missing, a hard drive as well-you may be better off buying a new laptop. I would advise popping the screen and any other parts out of it, selling them on ebay for parts and putting towards a new laptop that is in one piece.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:50 AM

Replacing a laptop mobo is definitely not recommended. I would have to say I would never even bother attempting it. Laptops are too compactly built to such specifications that it would probably be extremely difficult. You're better off buying a new machine.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:17 AM

Replacing a laptop mobo is definitely not recommended. I would have to say I would never even bother attempting it. Laptops are too compactly built to such specifications that it would probably be extremely difficult. You're better off buying a new machine.

Say what?!?:blink:

Granted... laptops present a little bit of a challenge, but there are tutorial that will walk you through the process. If you can read and follow instructions you should be able to do this. As the_patriot has suggested, the availability of the motherboard could be a problem. Between the age of this computer and the availability of the parts it would be much more than I would consider spending for the repair. For this reason I don't see any loss by trying the repair yourself.

Edited by dc3, 20 February 2011 - 05:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

Since you have the case you would need to evaluate the openings provided for the ports on the motherboard. Then see which of the boards have those options in the correct places. Odds are there will still be more than one that will fit the description. The good news would be that any of those would work since manufacturers make multiple models using the same case with different names and only slightly differing internals to save having to make to many different parts.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Squishy41287

Squishy41287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Since you have the case you would need to evaluate the openings provided for the ports on the motherboard. Then see which of the boards have those options in the correct places. Odds are there will still be more than one that will fit the description. The good news would be that any of those would work since manufacturers make multiple models using the same case with different names and only slightly differing internals to save having to make to many different parts.

I've seen that there are multiple ones that fit the description I am looking for and was wondering if any of those would work. Looks like it will. I'm really not going to go too out of my way to fix this laptop and but it would be great if I could get it working.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Guess it depends on what you consider to out of your way.

As Dc3 stated. While a bit more challenging. Laptops can be and are just as repairable as desk tops. Depending on parts availability, and willingness, patience + basic skills of the person attempting to perform the task.

Should you decide to attempt it , Good luck and let us know the outcome. :thumbup2:

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

my 2 cents ,you opened the case and the mainboard was gone ,is there a harddrive/dvd/ in the case , if not then that means you need a motherboard /with cpu and ram /and a harddrive and a dvd drive ,and a operating system [as the windows key if it still on the case may not work because of the changed motherboard ]to make it work .
unless you get it really cheap ,you could likely buy a working used same model laptop on ebay or other selling site cheaper

Edited by caperjac, 20 February 2011 - 06:49 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Reading through this thread I can see a valid point in everyones input that was given to you here squishy.

If you are like me and you love a challenge, I think you should go ahead and build a working system into this box, just for the experience and the bragging rights that you accomplished this.

mb9023 I am not disagreeing with your recommendation not to attempt it, but then again, that is your decision not to meet the challenge.

I use the word challenge loosely, as there are Geeks out there that build laptops for a living and find them to be quite enjoyable to assemble.

It seems to me like this was quite a decent laptop, if you click this link below you will see what this laptop originally had as part of its hardware.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01860416&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041434

You can compare that list above to what the laptop still has installed in it.

Now on to that list on page 77 of the pdf document.

I have copied and pasted that list right below this line and I have separated each by double spacing for clarity and I will add numbers to each so I can reliably offer suggestions based on the numbers.

:step1: UMA system board, GM45 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, HDMI port,
and replacement thermal material)
485218-001

The board above would work and has the most features

:step2: UMA system board, GM45 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, and
replacement thermal material)
494281-001

The board above would work but has no on-board HDMI

:step3: UMA system board, GL40 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, and
494282-001

Board above would work but has no HDMI

:step4: UMA system board, GL40 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, HDMI port, and
485219-001

The board above will work and has HDMI port

:step5: UMA system board, GL40 (for Presario CQ60 only; includes built-in modem, and
501266-001

This board above would NOT work because its for the Presario CQ60

:step6: Discrete system board, PM45 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, HDMI port,
488338-001

This board above would work and has HDMI

:step7: Discrete system board, PM45 (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, and
494283-001

This board would work but has no HDMI port

:step8: UMA system board, NVIDIA (includes built-in modem, Digital Media Slot, HDMI port,
498460-001

This board will work, it has NVIDIA architecture built into it

:step9: UMA system board, NVIDIA (for Presario only; includes built-in modem, Digital Media
Slot, and replacement thermal material)
498462-001

The board above is NOT meant for this laptop

:step10: UMA system board, NVIDIA (for Presario only; includes built-in modem, Digital Media
Slot, and replacement thermal material)
498463-001

11 UMA system board, NVIDIA (for Presario only; includes built-in modem, and
498464-001

12 Optical extension board (not illustrated) 506951-001

This is just an extra add-on board, it is NOT a system board

Hopefully my editing above looks Okay once I send this post to the server.

I provided the above information to help you in locating another system board if you decide to rebuild this laptop.

If you need any further advice please feel free to ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 February 2011 - 08:23 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Squishy41287

Squishy41287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Thank for MrBruce and everyone for your informative replies

I was able to get the old motherboard from my friend (the person who gave me the computer) so I was able to read the part number: 578232-001 but it does not match any of those on the manual. So once again I am unsure of wither to go with the actual part number of the machine or go with the manual and what Mrbruce suggested? Both part numbers seem to be available on ebay at a reasonable price.

Oh, and harddrive/dvd, CPU, etc are all intact

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Try to go with the one that has the most features built into it.

I wish you success with this repair and you will have the most success, if you keep it in your mind that you CAN accomplish this. :thumbup2:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

You can find a complete list of notebooks that this motherboard is compatible with here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users