Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Compaq Laptop can't do system recover

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 highpinesnow

highpinesnow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for looking, my first post....Cousin gave laptop (Has XP pro)upgrade I'm sure' to me and everything is there including dvd recorder, word, excell, windows media player. Nothing works wants reinstalled or whatever? his name is still on start/up and just choose and i get to main screen but nothing works. So I have done "system recover" on my "desktop" works fine with f10...but wont work on this laptop....I dont know what he did...and no system restore points. Wont let me format c: disk even in dos...I think if I could format it I could start all over?...sorry such a long post......any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

How are you accessing the DOS\CMD window?

#3 highpinesnow

highpinesnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

I'm getting there by Start/run/ then "cmd" then "format c:" says all will be lost and I say yes....then asks me if I want to force a "dismount" I say yes.then goes right back to c:\Documents and settings\Julie> which is cousins name.........Say's "cannot lock the drive. The drive is still in use....It would be great to get some help on this! Thanks.....Dale

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

You can not format the drive in use by using the drive in use.

It is kind of like trying to erase something with the eraser on the same pencil you are writing it with at the same time. Can not be done.

If you have the Windows install disk. Place it in the optical drive. Ensure it is set to boot from the optical drive in the BIOS. Restart the PC and follow the onscreen prompts.

#5 highpinesnow

highpinesnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

K..that makes total sense...Sorry but 2 questions, by optical you mean the "dvd"? and used to know how to get to BIOS back in the day but cant remember...is it under "system"? in the control panel..... sorry a pain...thanks for all the help!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Never be sorry about asking. We are here to do our best to answer. And, hopefully pass along some info\knowledge that you can share down the road with someone else.

Yep. optical drive = dvd.

For the BIOS. When you first start up the PC there will be a black screen probably with the HP logo in the center. In one of the corners of the screen. One line will say to enter setup, then tell you which key to tap. May be the delete key or one of the fx keys. x = a number.
By default it may already be set to do so. Try putting the disk in and restarting the PC. If you get a message press xxxx to boot from disk\CD then you are all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users