Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk unrecognizeable.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Punkbus

Punkbus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi there.

Recently a friends hard disk which was external had the usb connector break off so it was no longer useable as an external hard drive. I could still hook it up with a sata power and data cable to use as an internal hard drive...I thought. So i hooked it up, then checked Disk Drives in Computer Management. It was detected as an 'unallocated' disk and I did not want to "Initialise this" to fix it.

Its in NTFS.

anyway I left it with a friend who ran Test disk, then wrote a new MBR to the first sector, using MBR CODE function. After reboot, it now boots up with 1234f, i tried pressing each number to no avail.. I'm pretty limited in my knowledge...but I guess because this external hard disk didn't have an OS on it, it shouldn't have had MBR CODE function done to it?

Stop me if I'm completely off track haha... anyway. If this device is plugged into my computer it will not boot, because of the 1234f prompt.

Is their a way I can save this disk and all its data still?

Please let me know if you need any more information, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Punkbus

Punkbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

actually. I decided I would boot up my machine then once it loaded plug the sata cable in. I clicked on disk management and now the drive is there, and it has a letter assigned to it now. However I click on the disk and it says it needs to be formatted.

Im running Vista.

I clicked on properties and found a "backup files" option from the tools tab . Now potentially my biggest issue is i need to get another terrabyte drive to backup all the files. Once I backup to another drive, and format this original drive. will 1234f be prompted during bootup?

It says RAW as file system in disk management

I just ran backup files- pictures only and was going to back the pictures on the drive only just to test whether or not the backup wouldwork, yet it still said the disk must be formatted first. When I click on the drive info it displays used spaces 0 bytes and free space 0 bytes.

Is their another freeware program I can use to find and backup whats on the disk, and well... to see that their firstly is still data on it.

Edited by Punkbus, 19 February 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Try using testdisk found here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users