Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandwdg

sandwdg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

My Dell XPS froze today while on line. The computer would not restart. It automatically tries to diagnose the restart issue, but "cannot fix automatically". Ive tried restarting in Safe Mode, it kicks me to the restart diagnosis, which fails. A LOG shows that my sys restore was a success but the computer wont restart...
It all revolves around CORRUPTED FILE c\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe. Ive seen this error in forums but not one success story @MS or DELL
Im trying to get my options. Has anyone completely reinstalled Vista with success after a similar problem? Did it work? Has anyone tried the FACTORY IMAGE RESTORE?

I have a partition, will it protect my files if I do a re-install with the Vista disc provided at purchase?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

What do you mean you have a partition? Do you mean you have more than one partition? If so, did you create the second partition? What is on it now and how large is it?

Have you tried a repair install? If not, give it a shot: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

#3 sandwdg

sandwdg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi, I tried the disk provided at purchase, Vista reinstall dvd, it was not successful. I have my photos, docs etc. backed up. Im just trying to figure a way to restart my Dell XPS. It wont repair auto at start up. I restored successfully but computer wont restart to finish the restore. Im trying to create my own CD that will do the job.
I have one partition, sorry about the confusion.

I will post a result once I get the Neo ISO file converted to usable format

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users