Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple versions of Office

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JB66

JB66

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

I see another post that states a trainer has multiple versions of Office on their computer. I always heard that you must uninstall older versions before installing a newer version. Am i misoinformed? I would like to install 2010 on my XP, but do not want to lose the data on 2003.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

Why would you think you'd lose any data? Each new version of Office is backward compatible.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hello,

You would retain all the files created in office 2003. Uninstalling the program won't remove the documents you created with it.

Office 2010 will open Office 2007 and Office 2003 and earlier versions by using compatibility mode. You then have the choice to convert the document to 2010 format or keep it in the original. For more information see here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179199.aspx

That said, I have read that if you have Windows XP, you can run Office 2003 and Office 2010 on the same machine. I'm not certain of the veracity of that and I've seen it mentioned only on one site. In addition, I also saw reference to Office 2010 Beta, so that side-by-side option may no longer hold true even if it did then. I just don't have enough information to say for sure.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I've read that you can install Office 03 & 07 on the same computer if on installation you choose a location other than the default. The registry entries for Word I've had to track down have been in "folders" labeled w/ a version number, so maybe simply setting up a different folder under Program Files than the default on installation would work. There might be some problems in the docs & settings > user > application data > Microsoft > Office, Word & Templates folders, tho.

I run Word 2003 in a winxp virtual machine [VirtualBox] on a mac w/ Office 2011 installed. I prefer Word 2003 to Word 2011 [it's much more customizable] but there's no Office 2003 for mac. I don't know if you'd have to have two winxp licenses to run a virtual winxp on a winxp machine - I'd think not. Keeping two winxp's security updated would be a pain, tho. You'd really have to want/need both versions available to make it worth the effort.

Edited by MaryBet82, 26 February 2011 - 01:33 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users