Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System not booting, no screen, 6 beeps then constant beeping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harripix

harripix

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Tried to put a new RAM in my computer, but it was the wrong type (don't worry, I took it out). I wasn't extremely careful about it, I might have just tapped the CPU, but I don't think I damaged any hardware.

The fans are running
I hear 5 long beeps, 1 short beep, then constant long beeping
Screen not loading

I've tried putting the old RAM in properly, and taking it out completely
I've tried unplugging the keyboard and sound jack
I've tried making sure all wires are connected properly
I've made sure the power cable is in properly

NOTHING NEW HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE COMPUTER

Edited by harripix, 19 February 2011 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

They are BIOS beep codes telling you of a hardware based error. We need to know the BIOS manufacturer. If it is a custom build just supply the motherboard make and model. If it is a bought computer like a dell you will need to read the manufacturer off of the chip on the board. It will only be a few different ones like Award, Phoenix, AMI, ect.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 harripix

harripix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Album of Motherboard pictures

It seems to be PCI express or GeForce, although I'm not sure.
I can remember something about Intel, but I can't find that name on the motherboard :/

And now I've got another problem: The power cable just let out a spark and I think I've blown the fuse!! AAARGH! I changed the switch on the pc to 115W/V, thinking that's what I'd changed before -_-

Edited by harripix, 20 February 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

That is an ECS motherboard model Geforce6100SM-M. This has an Award BIOS on the motherboard. According to beep codes this is more that likely a memory issue. Given the dust in the pictures I would do the following:

1. Remove the memory from the motherboard.
2. Blow out all of the dust using a can of compressed air. Pay special attemtion to the memory slots making sure no dust bunnies are lodged in there.
3. Using a pink pencil eraser(not the white ones) gently clean each gold contact on the memory sticks.
4. Insert the memory paying attention the keys are lined up in the slot and that when finished the retaining clips are completely closed into the slots on the memory stick.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users