Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.
If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.
If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having
, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
Upon completing the steps below I will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.
Thanks and again sorry for the delay.
- Download OTL to your desktop.
- Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
- When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
- Under the Standard Registry box change it to All.
- Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
- Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
- When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
- Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit
& save it to your desktop.alternate download linkNote: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes
- Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
- Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
- A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
- Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
- If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
- Running processes
- Windows Registry
- Local Hard Drives
- Click Start scan.
- Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
- When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
- Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
- Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
- Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
- Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
- Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
- A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
- After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
- Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
- When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
- This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
- Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
- Clean out your temporary files.
- Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
- Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
- After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
- When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.