Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Router Speed Seems Slower Than What Manufacturer Claims

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Brand New HP p6754y PC
Windows 7
IE9
Comcast

I purchased and installed a Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the performance I should expect.

I purchased the router so I can run my new HP PC, Kodak printer and PS3 wirelessly. I finished connecting everything last night. After messing with everything for a short time, everything connected to the router appears to be working properly, but I'm not sure if the speed is what I should expect.

When checking the status of my router via my PC, it appears to be holding a steady 72.0 Mbps. The PS3, which is in a different room from the PC and router, is showing a slightly lower speed. The box claims up to 300 Mbps, so I'm wondering if I need to make some changes somewhere.

I checked my Comcast internet speed via Speedtest.net, and these are the results i received.

Ping 40ms
DL - 15.01Mbps
UL - 2.81Mbps

These reading are consistent with what I was getting before setting up the router. I'm mainly concerned about the 72.0Mbps I'm receiving on the router status.

If it matters, I had to call Cisco/Linksys for assistance in setting up the router. It would not automatically set up with the supplied disk, so the lady helped me do a manual set-up. She claimed the issue was due to the fact that I was using the antenna that came with my new HP PC, rather than buying a Linksys AE1000 antenna.

For those of you with router experience, how does all this sound?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TripleDigitRide, 19 February 2011 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me. You're never going to get full speeds that are advertised, plus 72Mbps is probably plenty for what you're doing.
It also depends on the type of wireless your devices and the router support (b/g/n, n being the fastest).

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

A couple of things.

First I will assume that your network looks something like this.

PC >
PS3 > Router > Comcast modem > Internet
Printer >

Anything to the right of the Comcast modem is controlled and governed by Comcast, your level of service package, and several other factors outside of most any ones control.

The same can be pretty much said for between the router and modem.

Regarding from the router to your PC\PS3\Printer. Note the info you provided yourself. In particular the underlined. The box claims up to 300 Mbps.

Would one of their antenna`s help? Maybe? is the best answer I can give.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users