Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy PSU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

I was making my way to the washing machine late the other night when i herd a horrible buzzing noise comming from somewhere. After crawling around for a short while i realized what appeared to be the CPU on my old Dell. I removed the side pannel and verified the source. It was not only making a fast buzz but to the touch also vibrated fairly intensly. My question is is this dangerous to replace if it is broken? And is this most likley the source of the poor performance isssues with that PC? I have read the threads on PSU's, but wanted to get some direct responces from people maybe who have had this same issue with this model.:flamethrower:

Edited by Shane-N, 19 February 2011 - 04:46 PM.

Namaste

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

The noise you are hearing is most likely the fan in your PSU. The fan in a PSU can be replaced but should only be replaced but someone who knows a little bit about electricity, as there are capacitors in your power supply that can give you a nasty shock if you don't know what you're doing. Power supplies are cheap nowadays, I would recommend you simply replace the who PSU.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

You sure its the PSU fan?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Might be the fan on the CPU as well. I have never heard of the CPU itself making a noise.

You can test that by temporarily disconnecting the fan power lead from the motherboard and see if the sound goes away.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

If you do plan on replacing the PSU be cautious as Dell has done some shady things in this area. On some of their models the connector on the PSU is the same but the wires are installed in a way that is not consistant with the ATX standard. Hooking up a standard ATX power supply would then fry your motherboard. Just to be sure I would measure the wire voltages and wire color codings to be sure the Dell power supply conforms to the ATX spec before replacing it. The good news if it is different is all you would have to do is adjust the wires in the new PSU to match the old Dell PSU to use it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Ok, thanks i will check before i replace it. I dont know if this clues into anything but i have found by unplugging and then plugging back in the power cord the noise stops.
Namaste

#7 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

It's most likely that the fan inside the PSU has bad bearings, causing it to make noise. Unplugging and plugging the power cord will only be a temporary fix. You'll want to replace the PSU as soon as possible, if the fan quits it can/will overheat quickly and could be a fire hazard.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Unplugging the power cord will shut all the fans down in the system. It is likely a fan, the question is, are you sure it is the fan inside the PSU unit, or a exhaust/intake fan on the case or the CPU heatsink fan?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users