Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

overheating

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jose_007

jose_007

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

my laptop recently overheated and turned off.Repaeated attempts to restart it failed and ended up with blue screen.Hours later it restgarted and worked OK for some time before again overheating.The fan was no longer working...I could make it out from the sound.
Service centre guys cleaned the cooling system and said main cause was dust in the system and suggested cooling pad as option.

Is there any alternative??
And what important points should be kept in mind while purchasing pad ?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Please reply

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

cooling pads are ok but not necessary in my opinion ,just buy a can of compressed air and keep the fan and heatsinc cleaned off .works for us here with 3 laptops

Edited by caperjac, 22 February 2011 - 07:50 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Thanks

#5 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Dont know if I have the right to restart an old post....but still

Laptop fan works well and at full speed during pre boot system assessment but after that during normal operation it doesnt work at all or spins at very low speed causing laptop to really heat up..There arent any error messagesor blue screen though.....pre boot tests show PASS

Can anyone help me where problem could lie ??

Thanks
Jose

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hello, it is certainly okay to revive an old post of yours if you so choose to do so.

You may want to have this cooling fan replaced, it is more than likely worn out and there is a possibility that the barrings are worn out causing the fan to bind up during rotation.

Now I want to add, there are situations where the fan speed may be controlled by the system, in a case like this, if the temperature detected by the sensor is below a threshold, the system will decrease the fan speed accordingly.

But it is very rare for the fan to stop or turn off altogether.

Using a temperature monitoring program will give you a basic idea of what temperatures the sensors are receiving and sending to the motherboard controller chip.

But of course it all depends on whether the laptop is capable of booting into windows long enough to get any readings.

You can use either speed fan or HWMonitor to help you analyze the current temperatures on your various senors.

Here are the links.

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

If your laptop can not run long enough to run either program listed above, I strongly suggest you replace this cooling fan, or double check that it is not being held back from spinning due to dust built up in the heat sink.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

A replacement fan would mean taking apart the laptop which can be very tricky sometimes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Also try to clean the dust inside the laptop. Dust often causes overheating...

Joshua

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

Joshua

in the first post ,its says the the service center guy cleaned the cooling system

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:03 AM

Joshua

in the first post ,its says the the service center guy cleaned the cooling system

Yes, it's ok, but maybe under some of the components there are still dust. I've experienced it few times when the dust collects under the processor, so u can't see it, but problem is still there. Superficially cleaning doesn't do the work always. Sometimes the deep cleaning is needed! And of course if it is possible thermal paste should be considered!

With regards,

Joshua

#11 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thanks everyone for inputs :)

@ MrBruce1959
Is it safe to use those software ?I mean the software will only analyze and not try to control speed ?

@all
please provide any relaiable online sources providing instruction about cleaning laptop ..

Thanks again
Jose

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

To effectively clean a laptop you would have to disassemble it. But you said the service centre guys has already cleaned it out, did they taken it apart and cleaned it? Can you please provide the model of this laptop?

Edited by killerx525, 18 May 2011 - 08:38 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

@killerx
THe service centre cleaned it in feb..check the date ....I have restarted my old post :)

#14 BrianM86

BrianM86

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

I had a laptop that was overheating due to the fan not spinning after windows had loaded, seemed like the fan controller was faulty so I ended up cutting one of the wires running to the fan but I can't remember the specifics, this made the fan run continuously and it worked perfectly for the remainder of its life. Just my 2 cents on a situation that might be unique to the laptop I had, but worth looking into if you're confident in doing so.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

So what is the model of your laptop? At the moment i would have to agree with the others about the fan.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users