Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cvos

cvos

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I have a Netgear WGR614 router that is 54mbps looking to upgrade to 150 or 300mbps. We have 7 computers and a psp and cellphone that access the internet. At times 5 of the 7 computers will be used. We like to watch videos and net serving on most of them. 2 computers are HD capable with videos. Will getting a different router help in speed and connection? At times the laptops and one desktop loose connection. Also we have a Webstar (Scientific Atlanta) cable modem DPC 2100 should that be upgraded also?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

There are two real questions here. First is what wireless spec do your devices support. If they all support wireless N then replacing the router with a good dual band router will increase the speed between the router and the devices. If your devices support G only then replacing the router will not help in this regard.

The second concern would be your internet connection. Since even wireless G can handle more bandwidth than almost any residential connection this is probably your real bottleneck. Streaming video and audio takes a lot of bandwidth. With multiple devies accessing the internet at the same time this is a big drain on say a standard residential connection. I would do a speed test with no one else using the internet and see what your download speed is. Standard video consumes about 2.5 Mbps and HD content can be upwards of 10 Mbps. For instance my cable is about 20 Mbps (to a great connection on the other side) so having even 6 standard video signals would overload it. If that is your case then upping your bandwidth from your provider would be the first alternative I would choose.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 cvos

cvos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

I will have to check into what each one has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users