Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot time on XP - SP3

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Obpoet

Obpoet

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

My boot up time can vary from 2-3 min with a reboot to up to 15-20 min for a new boot. Is there a way to analyze and correct this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

1) Did this just start? If so, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
2) How fast does it boot to safe mode?

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Try going into the MSCONFIG utility. Start > Run > msconfig. Then go to the startup tab and deselect anything that isn't required to be run at startup. Use Google to find out what items are safe to deselect. It might also be a good idea to defragment your hard disk. I highly recommend Auslogics Disk Defrag. (http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?tag=mncol;1) Also running a malware scan could help as well. (www.malwarebytes.org)

If you have more information that you could provide us, that would be extremely helpful.

Have a great day! :)

Josh_the_Techie

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Before disabling items in msconfig, let's see about safe mode. THEN the next step would be with msconfig.

#6 Obpoet

Obpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Booting in safe mode takes about 30 seconds. When I rebooted in reg mode to post here just now, it took 4-5 minutes. The hourglass displays with the cursor over the taskbar. I have already cut the startup programs to the bare minimum.

#7 Obpoet

Obpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

The only thing checked on startup on msconfig is the AVG antivirus. I have scanned with Malwarebyes, AVG, and Superantispyware. I went through this on the malware section of bleepingcomputer and they found nothing. Bootvis shows the wdmaud.sys driver running for 114 sec which sounded long to me, and I got concerned about a wdmaud.drv located in the system32 folder (not the driver folder) of 23.0 kb, not 81 kb. But the malware guy didnt seem to think this was a bad file.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible you may just be stuck with a 4 minute boot.

Edited by Allan, 19 February 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Can you provide the Speccy Information, so we can see what kind of computer we are dealing with?

#10 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Try disabling AVG from starting. If the computer boots faster, you may want to look for a different anti-virus program or consider reinstalling AVG. Or you may be stuck with a 4 minute boot time as Allan said.

Josh_the_Techie

#11 Obpoet

Obpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WXydg9VztRppD0t4ZphF3sT

Here is the Speccy link. This started before I added AVG, so I know it isnt that.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

Only 1.0 GB RAM? I'd start there....Posted Image

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

More ram never hurts, but 1Gb should be more than enough to boot normally.

Edited by Allan, 22 February 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#14 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

More ram never hurts, but 1Gb should be more than enough to boot normally.

I agree with Allan. More RAM never hurts. If your computer has been running comfortably with 1GB of RAM, then you should be fine. If you have the money and want to do it, go ahead an upgrade it to 2GB. Your computer should be a little faster.
Have you checked the inside of the case to see if the CPU fan is caked with dust? That could also slow the computer down as the CPU has to run at slower speeds to keep itself from overheating.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

I agree with Allan. More RAM never hurts. If your computer has been running comfortably with 1GB of RAM, then you should be fine. If you have the money and want to do it, go ahead an upgrade it to 2GB. Your computer should be a little faster.
Have you checked the inside of the case to see if the CPU fan is caked with dust? That could also slow the computer down as the CPU has to run at slower speeds to keep itself from overheating.

The issue is with boot time, not general performance.

Edited by Allan, 22 February 2011 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users