Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blkdawg

blkdawg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

I just re-formatted my hard drive, re-installed Windows XP Home, I have all the updates up to and including service pack 3. I have no anti-virus at this moment. The problem is that I can connect to the internet after a start up of the computer. Whether that first connection is 5 minutes or 5 hours after the startup. Once I have connected once, about an hour after that, the next time I try to connect I get the unable to display the web page notification and the prompt to diagnose the connection. I choose not to diagnose the connection and reboot and go right back to the internet with no problem. Is there a setting that I am missing in the setup of my network connection? I have Time Warner for internet and they have told me that all is well and that there have been no interruptions with my modem that would knock me out. I do not have a router and I am connected directly to the modem with a LAN connection. I hope someone will have an answer. Thanks

Edited by blkdawg, 19 February 2011 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

1) Aside from anything else, you MUST install a good av and keep it resident at all times.
2) After installing XP, did you install all appropriate drivers (starting with the chipset driver)? Look in Device Manager - any errors?

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

What is the model number of your modem, and who is your ISP?

#4 blkdawg

blkdawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

To Allan

Yes I did install the most updated chipset from Intel for my motherboard and no there are no errors for anything including network adapter in device manager. As for the anti-virus I have uninstalled it because I thought that could have been the problem and it was not. Will put back on shortly.

To Crypto

The model for the modem is a Toshiba pcx2600 ISP is Time Warner

Edited by blkdawg, 19 February 2011 - 09:47 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

You say "the next time I try to connect". Do you not leave your browser open? If not, what happens if you do?

Open Device Manager - double click on your network adapter - go to the Power Options Tab - if there is a checkmark in "Allow computer to turn off this device...", uncheck it.

Also check your Power Options in Control Panel

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

You say you do not have a router, however, according to Manual for the PCX2600 states that is a combo.

Also what are you doing prior to losing the connection?

Applications like Steam and Torrents, can produce a lot of traffic that can fill up the NAT Table, and knock your connection offline. The NAT Table is responsible for making and remembering new connections. When it gets full, you will lose the ability to use the internet.

#7 blkdawg

blkdawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

To Allan

I have kept my browser opened and within the hour of first opening IE I will eventually get the notice of lost connection and to make diagnosis. I have checked those setting and the box is not checked for power saving and there are no other power options available for the network adapter under XP that I can find.

To Crypto

The only other software so far on the computer is MS Office and that is not running in the background. As far as a stand alone router is concerned, I do not have one of those. Just the hookups for the modem provided to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users