Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do next?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Isabel87

Isabel87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

Oh...the title of this should be "What to do next..." Whoops.

Hello everyone!
So I just finished removing all the spyware that was on my laptop (it was System Tool to be exact), and following the last few bits of instruction on that page, I'm suppose to save the new HOSTS file into the folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc. I have Windows 7 (premium I think? Does this make a difference?) and so I right clicked on the Windows 7 link to 'Save as Target.' However, whenever I try to download the new HOSTS file, a pop up comes up saying it is not allowed and that I'm suppose to "contact an administrator." Which would be me. Since its my computer...?

Right now, the only files in my ...\etc folder are: lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol, and services.

Not quite sure what I'm suppose to do now. Is there any other place I can download Windows 7 hosts files?

Also, once everything is restored, do I uninstall the MalwareBytes, iExplorer, mbam-setup, rKill, and hosts-perm files/icons?

Lastly, how do I make sure for certain that my computer is absolutely clean? Usually I would just scan it with Avast, but when I had this SpyWare, I scanned my computer several times with Avast, both on the Full System Scan and Boot time scan, and Avast said nothing was detected.
But then sometimes Avast would say that it's settings had been disabled, so I don't know.

Any sort of help and response would be so much appreciated!! I haven't slept for 48 hrs (lol not because of the SpyWare problem, but that is adding on some more hours. Oh Grad School tests...) so I hope this post makes sense :)

Thank you!!

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2011 - 08:34 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected, edited title.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajax49

ajax49

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi Isabel87, had asimilar problem to this and I downloaded the "hosts" file to "My Downloads" and then copied and pasted it to the "ETC" folder. Hope this works for you
Regards Ajax49

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

How to reset the hosts file back to the default
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi Isabel87

Delete rkill and Iexplore but keep Malwarebytes. It is a great program, just update and scan once a week.
Sorry can't help you with the host-perm file/icons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users