Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OUTLOOK

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SGIM43

SGIM43

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

I just got a new computer and I was setting up my Microsoft Office Outlook, and it has been giving me nothing but problems. In previous years when setting up outlook it is a very simple process where I'd put in my email and password and it worked perfect. Now I've spent hours and I cannot get it set up the same. I'm on my eight hour now, and its ridiculous. First it didnt set up my email as default and wouldnt let me delete emails and would just put a cross out line. It didnt set up the acount as a POP and I had to learn about that and try to set it up right. Finally I got the pop email to set up and now it appears my email (aol) is the default but I'm still not allowed to delete emails, although it is no longer doing the "cross-out" thing where there is just a line through the email. Now when I hit the delete button it simply does nothing, however when i Open the email and hit the "x" to delete when the email is open it will delete. And I still have this unnecessary "personal" email folders, and both a trash and a deleted email folders which were never there when setting up previous computers.

I wanted to start over from the begining set up so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice, including manual searching outlook files/folders to delete everything, yet on re-installation it still has my settings, and even emails, and does not let me re-setup. I only can go in options as I was when setting up as a POP. I really don't understand why this is being so difficult, and whatever Microsoft is doing here itan awful choice. Someone please help

Edited by SGIM43, 18 February 2011 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

What version of Office do you have?

#3 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

2007 (Microsoft Office Professional 2007) on Windows 7. Thanks

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

What kind of Network are you trying to connect to?

Exchange, ISP, Gmail?

#5 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

Other really odd things I've found: if I select multiple emails (ctrl + click) and they are sequential (right next to each other/touching) they will delete when striking the delete key, however they will not delete when i only select one email or if I select multiple emails that are not sequential. I mean really???

my aol email account

thx

#6 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

i've even opened up the previous computer and have went through the settings on that outlook to compare and I cannot see any difference, so I really dont get why this program is running so different. It setup different w all these excess folders, created another personal folder tier, originally as default, which is still there as if 2 accounts/users, its giving me delete problems, and one more thing... every now and again a window will pop up titled Enter Network Passord. the next headers says Type your user name and password. The next line says server, which is filled in as pop.aol.com (which should be correct) and then the next 2 lines are also filled in correct with my user name and password. I then have to keep hitting ok to make it go away. That never happened before either.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

Follow this guide: How do I set up an AOL or AIM email account in Microsoft Outlook 2007?

#8 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

yea thats basically what I did. I found that page and a few others which I looked at. That particular link may either have errors of I'm not doing something right. First in step 11 you can see its being set up as a POP3, which is what I want. then however in step 18 when it says to go back its listed as a IMAP, which is not consistant to what was previously done: setting up a POP. SO when I get to step 20 in more settings there is not Folders tab added, and mine still looks like it did in step 15 w/o the folders tab when setting up the POP. So again I cannot progress to the other steps bc of the oddity. then to complete this webpage the last step again ends with showing the type being an IMAP in step 26. It almost seems like this site has mixed two different tutorials... one for setting up a POP mixed with an IMAP setup. ughhh

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:56 AM

At Step 18 it is going through the IMAP Options. If you are done at Step 17 then you are done.

#10 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Right - ok so then setting up the POP as this article describes has been done but does not halp me with any of the problems I am having.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your exact issues, so I can see a visual.

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

I can use my Hotmail with outlook ... do you need to add SMPT with AOL?

Attached File  Outlook.jpg   39.47KB   5 downloads

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#13 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

cryptodan - I guess my main problem now is not being able to delete an email normally by simply hitting the delete key. The additional "Personal" account with its own set of folders (inbox, deleted, etc), and more additional folders besides that account that are showing, can be ignored. I'm just someone who likes to keep all my programs clean and uncluttered, with as little tabs, folder, keys or whatever showing as possible. Just an annoyance. And my earlier commentary and the difficulty w/ setup I guess is a mute point now, just annoying it's given me such a hard time. So to your question I cant post an image that would help regarding to the emails not deleteing... as theres nothing really to show, they're just not deleting with the delete key! (key is functional)

Jacee - thanks for joining! (I've never had 2 ppl comment on a post before so I really appreciate it). Yes, I do have it set up like your image posted, as a POP/SMTP

Edited by SGIM43, 19 February 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

The folders that are in your outlook appeared when you set up your account for IMAP.

Can you delete the messages via AOL?

#15 SGIM43

SGIM43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users