Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Behavior In Xp Pro - Windows Apps & Start Menu Open And Close Automatically.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mmjpkirsch

mmjpkirsch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

When I'm in the middle of anything - typing in Word or just browsing with the mouse, the Start menu pops up, IE closes, apps start opening and closing (i.e., control panel, printer, etc.). It's crazy to watch - like someone has taken control of my computer.

I was given this Dimension 4500 PC recently. The problem started occurring after I received it (even though it never occurred during the years that I used it at my sister's company). I checked for viruses but found none. I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled Win XP Pro and straight away - it started happening again.

I have:

Verizon DSL w/ a DLink router using WEP.
Windows XP Pro w/ sp2 & Firewall enabled

I've upgraded to the latest bios version, chipset, firmware, drivers, etc. I've looked in the event log - there are no errors.

Someone on the Dell msg bd suggested that I may have speech recognition enabled. It didn't appear to be installed but I renamed "sapisvr.exe" just to be sure.

Has anyone ever heard of this before. I have a few holiday projects that I need to get done and I'm desperate. The computer is super fast but unusable with this random (annoying!) behavior.

Thank you!

mj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sirfredrico

sirfredrico

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:27 AM

sounds like the symptoms of some type of virus. wiping the hard drive generally should do the trick. i suppose unless a virus has deeply affected the hard drive that a regular format wont touch.
how did you format? did you run a utility that writes zeros on the drive?which deletes all existing partitions?
then create a new one? or, did you simply do format c:?

if you did format c: at the command prompt, the problem could be a lurking virus on that partition.

delete the partition and create a new one either using a startup floppy and the fdisk command at the prompt,
or a utility that writes zeros to the drive....for that i use powermax, works with maxtor, WD, and quantum drives,
not sure about other brands, a full low level format and reinstallation of windows is what i recommend.

run the full low level format.then use the setup cd, that guides tou through creating a new partition and
formattinng it for windows{xp} not sure if you can do this with other OS, you made need to create your new partition using a startup floppy and fdisk.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-D.../Powermax.shtml

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:35 AM

Try a new/different keyboard and mouse. Might be a short in the cord or a problem with the keys/buttons.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:42 AM

I had this problem with a MicroSoft laser trackball. I reinstall freshly downloaded drivers and it went away.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

It does sound a bit like a mouse problem. Perhaps you are using a wireless mouse and/keyboard? Are the batteries low? Is there something like a speaker nearby interfering with the wireless signal? If in fact you have a wireless mouse, can you try a different channel? Just some ideas.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 mmjpkirsch

mmjpkirsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:45 AM

Someone on the Dell forum suggested that I may have a faulty mouse. I switched out the mouse and have been problem free since! I thought I was losing my mind there for a few days.

Thank you for all of your great suggestions! About formatting - I had the Win XP setup delete the partition.

Side note: I came back to this board to let you know that the issue was resolved. That's when I discovered your replies. I had expected to receive emails notifying me if someone responded but I did not. Perhaps I have that missing on my member settings (although on this thread below, it says that email notification is enabled). Maybe I have an incorrect email address listed. I will double check.

Thanks again! I'm off to finish my holiday projects.

mj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users