Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Dell OS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cobra11

Cobra11

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

ok I have a dell PC with windows xp home. I need to reformat the pc but I do not have the Dell Discs that came with this pc. I do however have an OEM copy of Windows XP. I am pretty sure that I can load my copy of windows into this pc but I just want to make sure.

Also, can someone maybe provide a bit of help on exactly how to go about doing that? Or do I simply reboot the pc with my copy of windows in the drive and simply follow the on screen instructions?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

I need to reformat the pc but I do not have the Dell Discs that came with this pc

A bit more information as to Why you Need to reformat the computer would help -
Is this due to multiple infections / general clean up or other reason -

Thank You -

#3 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

More because I want to. I love playing around with pc's and its giving me something to do. No infections, nothing,

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ This may be the step by step tutorial you are looking for -

If not , please post back and I will look for another one -

Thank You -

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

OEM disks are intended for the system with which they ship. Aside from breaking the eula, it's possible the disk is tied to that particular pc.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/ Would this be more suitable Allan ??

@ Cobra11 - Please browse the Tutorials area listed at the top of the forum section if you are not sure -
Allan may have a better one for you -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 18 February 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#7 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

OEM disks are intended for the system with which they ship. Aside from breaking the eula, it's possible the disk is tied to that particular pc.

I have to disagree. It is simply an OEM Windows xp disc which I paid for in and by itself. It did NOT ship with a system. The dell PC has the windows sticker on the side which has the XP code.

noknojon; not quite what I was after

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Okay then. Yes, boot to the XP CD and follow the instructions. Early on you'll be given the option to delete / create partitions and to format. Immediately after installing, be sure to install the chipset driver followed by all other appropriate drivers. Then install a good AV. Then go to Windows Update and download and install all updates (except for hardware and driver updates, which should always and only be obtained from the OEM manufacturers' websites).

#9 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for all of the info guys.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

I did this to my Del awhile back, when I was done several items did not have the right drivers there are Del specific drivers that you may need. I went on the Del site punched the required info and down loaded the appropriate drivers, I has been up and running fine for about eight months without a glitch.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

I did this to my Del awhile back, when I was done several items did not have the right driv I has been up and running fine for about eight months without a glitch.

Only necessary with a laptop. With a desktop, most drivers should be obtained from the OEM websites.

Edited by Allan, 19 February 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

Maybe so but it was some simple just going on the dell site to get sound and wireless adapter working was quick and painless. It is the 3100 tower I run for a backup.

Edited by OldPhil, 19 February 2011 - 09:45 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

okay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users