Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 phone line, 2 ISPs, possible ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

An elderly couple, who are good friends of mine, are having self-inflicted internet problems. They are lovely people, but he is verging on the ga-ga at times. They have a BTinternet contract and I had them both on-line through the BT router connected to his Apple - his desktop Apple and her Acer laptop. Now, they are both off-line because, as I understand it, he broke his router, binned it, and hooked up another without the knowledge to set it up. I can re-align the router - that's not a problem so long as he still has the account details with the BT password etc., and that would put them both back on line until the next time he does something silly.

However, she would really prefer an account that she controls, and finding an ISP isn't that difficult. The problem is that they, like most people, have only one landline and it is on a contract with BT. Can anybody tell me - before I go and make the suggestion - if it is possible to have contracts with two ISPs on the same landline ? I was thinking of leaving the BTinternet contract alone and adding something like a Plusnet contract for her, but I don't know if it is possible.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris Cosgrove :whistle:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

I am not clear on this. Are you saying that she wants her own account, say, through ISP XYZ, and he stays on BTinternet? And BTinternet connects to their house via a telephone landline? Is it DSL? Or POTS (Plain Old Telephone Sytem) modem? It sounds like DSL, since there is a router and you mention a landline. If it is a copper POTS line, yes, she could dial up one ISP through her ACER, while he dials up BTinternet through his Mac BUT not at the same time. If it is DSL, no, the signal on those lines won't take a second DSL connection. I think she could get a POTS v. 90 modem connection, but that would be really, really, really slow. In which case the DSL would interpret the modem connection as a phone call, and yes, she would connect via v. 90, and he through throttled down DSL.

Edited by MBakerNH, 18 February 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for that, MBakerNH - that's more or less what I thought. It is an ADSL connection they have and I did think that switching requirements in the local exchange would rule this possibility out.

Oh well, that rules out an easy solution. Now I have to hope they still have the original connection instructions and codes, or else it's back to BT to try and get new ones, and I would really like to get them back on-line in the reasonably near future !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

Keep in mind there is always cable internet if they can get that.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,219 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, NpaMA, but that is a non-starter. Our town isn't cabled and there is almost no prospect of that happening in the forseeable future, but thanks for the thought.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users