Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP and SATA setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 YeOldeCodger

YeOldeCodger

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hi,
I have just aquired an old pc with a Amd sempron cpu, 512mb ram, an ide dvdrw and a 160gb sata drive.

It was full of virus so took out the drive and scrubbed it clean. Formatted NTFS and partitioned via an extenal system from my own pc.
Replaced Sata drive and hooked up an external usb floppy with the boards sata drivers. Fired up with the xp pro sp3 disk in the drive as usual and awaited the press F6 screen for the sata bit.
The opening black screen said press a key to boot from cd so all went ok then just as the first blue setup screen came on the screen went blank and shut down. I tried several original xp disks and even slipstreamed ones with sata drivers on but to no avail all shut down before the F6 screen. Scratchy my bald head......... So I tried a windows 7 dvd disk and that started straight away no problem.

So I concluded, rightly or wrongly that it must be a bios thing. I even reset the bios and looked at all the settings. All seemed ok with the hard drive and dvdrw being there.

Not being to familiar with the bios I did not play with to much, just tried default factory settings.
The Mobo is a Winfast 760GXK8MC.

A mate said it was the sata controller? But what to do he never said. Any ideas.
At the moment I got windows 7 on it but it stuggles so xp would be ideal for it.
BTW it has two ide slots and I tried moving the dvdrw to ide 1 as master and stuck in an ide hard drive on IDE 0 Master. It recognised the ide 0 but failed then to see IDE 1. Gets worse. I even tried the dvdrw as slave and ide hard drive on the same ribbon.....again did not see dvdrw. Scratchy the bald head again........... HELP!!!!!

cODGER

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2011 - 03:11 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeOldeCodger

YeOldeCodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

Sorry Moderator , I think I put my post in the wrong slot. Can you shift if possible as I am not sure how to.
THX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users