Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card drivers.-removing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cobra11

Cobra11

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Yes I have searched on how to remove old video card drivers. I am here to see if anyone has any personal experience at it and to check if there is a different way.
Most of what I read says to go into device manager and simply delete driver then run some program to clean it.

Any other thoughts ?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'm not sure, what exactly you want to do.
Remove old video driver and install some newer one.
Any particular reason, you want to do this?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

Um, because I am purchasing a new video card.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

Are you replacing a video card or switching from on-board video to a card?

If replacing a card, here is the way I do it. (even though it isn't necessary to do it this way when changing out the card.)

In device manager, UNINSTALL the old card.

Shut down your computer. Unplug from the power source.

Replace the card, plug back in to the power source, turn the computer on. Windows should find the new hardware.

Install drivers for the new card.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 February 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

Are you replacing a video card or switching from on-board video to a card?

If replacing a card, here is the way I do it. (even though it isn't necessary to do it this way when changing out the card.)

In device manager, UNINSTALL the old card.

Shut down your computer. Unplug from the power source.

Replace the card, plug back in to the power source, turn the computer on. Windows should find the new hardware.

Install drivers for the new card.

I am replacing a video card. My MB does not have on board video at all. I am just worried that by doing it that way that it will leave some left over files/drivers behind. Thank you for your input.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Since you currently have a video card, you can also check Add Remove programs to see if there is any software installed for the card.
If there is, uninstall it.

Your card is a plug and play device. Generally you don't have to uninstall these using device manager. I do it anyway.

There is only one way to find out what happens: just do it. You shouldn't have any problems but if you do, post back.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

Driver Sweeper is probably the program that you read about.

Yes. It does work. But use with caution. You must be aware of what you direct it to uninstall as it can\will remove more then just graphics card drivers.

#8 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:45 AM

Use Driver Sweeper for sure. Make sure you follow directions on how to use it (usually boot into safe mode to run it). Pretty sure you can run it before or after you change your video card, shouldn't make a difference cause you won't have drivers either way..

#9 Cobra11

Cobra11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

thanks for the info everyone. Card should be here Thursday, I will post back as to what route I decided to take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users