Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking newbie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hilus

hilus

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi have a network configuration issue that I could use some help with. I'm looking to set up a network that employs a primary wireless gigabit router with DHCP. Into this router I will connect the following devices.

1. Digital phone adapter
2. 1 hard wired computer
3. a 4 port gigabit switch on the second floor which in turn will have an Xbox 360 and another computer connected by wire to the switch. The switch is a netgear pro-safe and i think its unmanaged.
4. as well as multiple wireless devices such as cell phones, Ipads and laptops.

Please keep in mind, these devices will not be in use at the same time and I have sufficient bandwith.

Presently I have the router set up with standard Lan ip range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. My digital phone adapter is unable to pick up a ip address automatically because of the other attached network devices, unless i unplug the other devices.. should I set the phone device to a static IP? Or is there a better solution? will the following suggestions work.

1. leave the router Lan range as is, but assign the phone adapter to a static ip to say 192.168.1.60. If i do this do I have to specify the ip and mac address in the router config.

2. change the router lan ip range to say 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.200, and then set the phone static ip outside of that to say 192.168.1.201

3. Does the switch I connect to the router (by wire going to the second floor ) use an IP address or something else?

Thanks for your help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

I would go with solution 1, it should get the ip by itself but if it doesn't and you can get by with static ip why not? Should be fine.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I would not use an IP address in the DHCP range since if it is assigned to another device on the network you will end up with an address conflict. Reset your DHCP range in the router to go from .20 to .254 then you have 18 you can use for devices better setup as static like printers, ect.

What kind of phone adapter is it?

The switch will just be connected using a wire from one port to the other. No other setup is needed. No IP is used to do this.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 hilus

hilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi Baltboy,

Thanks for the reply. The adapter is a Motorola VT1005v used with Vonage. So if I understand correctly after resetting the DHCP (sorry for the non-technical language) I will have .20 through .254 as dynamic IP addresses that can be obtained automatically by devices. Furthermore, IP's .2 through 19 can be assigned as static IP's. If I do this will the static devices, be listed in my router where I can see all of my connected devices. Or will my router only list those within LAN range .20 through .254. Also the phone adapter requires some UDP ports to be forwarded, (see below). If I put the adapter outside the LAN range and I assign it a static IP will I still need to port forward those ports. I'm asking this because in the router configuration when I specify a port it asks for the IP address. Will that work even though it's outside the LAN range?

Vonage Ports:

The following ports are needed for OUTGOING Internet communications from the Vonage device to the Vonage servers.

DNS: Port 53 UDP

TFTP: Ports 21, 69, 2400 UDP

HTTP: Port 80 UDP

NTP: Port 123 UDP

SIP: Port 5061 UDP

The following ports are needed for INCOMING and OUTGOING Internet communications from and to Vonage devices and servers.

RTP (Voice) Traffic: Ports 10000-20000 UDP. When a call is made, a random port between 10000 and 20000 is used for RTP (Voice) traffic. If any of these ports are blocked, you may experience one way or no audio.

Thanks for all you help….

#5 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

I would definitely decrease that DHCP range. 100 to 199 is a hundred devices - MORE than enough. Then you can static anything into spheres above and below that.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

when assignning a static ip it will not show up in the listed ip addresses under DHCP. It will only list those assigned by the DHCP server. Another way to do it if you want to see it, and this would probably be better anyhow, is to set it up as a reserved address from the DHCP setup. This will ensure that it gets the same IP every time but will still update the DNS if it changes automatically.

The ports will need to be forwarded regardless of how the phone device is addressed. Port forwarding does not care if it is DHCP or Static. Just because an address is static does not put it "outside the LAN range". The set up for your LAN is .1 to .254 as working addresses the only difference is you are telling the DHCP server to automatically give out specific range of those addresses but all of the addresses are still valid and part of the same network(LAN).
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 hilus

hilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

Marvelous, thank you, I seem to have everything set up correctly now. I just get confused with wan, lan and DHCP. I just have to start treating them as the same but to a degree separate entities.

Thank You….

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users