Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Know If I Have Multiple Partitions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:00 PM

I have a Gateway 20GB Fat32. with Windows XP. I reformatted my hard drive but it seems as if there is alot of the hard drive used up with only 58% free space. Sorry I don't know what the bleep I'm doing. It took me four hours to defragment the system today and that is why I was wondering if there are two systems. :thumbsup:
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

You may have a hidden drive where Gateway placed you restore files. That is one way they get around providing you a Windows cd. It just never work as well as planned.
Do you have a disk management program like Partition Magic? You could take a look at your listed partitions, even the hidden ones. Ther is a free one if you don't Digtal Dolly. Unzip it to a folder on your hard drive and burn the contains only to a disk in .iso format. It will be a self booting disk.
Use the Partition Manager. It has a Help button, althought it is fairly straight forward.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 felinepeachy

felinepeachy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

Thanks so much for your response. A couple of questions though. Is the C drive, the hard drive and what is .ISO Format/ I am really sorry I don't know much about computers and I feel like I'm asking stupid questions but I really appreciate all the advice. P.S. This is one of the best forums I have ever found on the internet. I will be making a donation ASAP :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:14 AM

That Ok we all start some where.
The C:\ is a partition. It is located on a hard drive.

An analogy...

You hard drive is similar to a file cabinet.
The partitions are the draws.
Then you have the hanging file folders. Main folder like "Programs Files".
The folder within the hanging file folders. Programs like "MS Word".
The files like "Resume.doc".

You can have several "Partitions" (draws) on one hard drive (File Cabinet). The main is called the "Primary partition" (Usually C:\) and the others are "Logical partitions" and "Extented partitions" which are different "Partitions" (draws) on the same hard drive (File Cabinet).

This is how you seperate Data to protect it in case you need to reinstall Windows. You will only need to clean one "Partition" (draw) not the whole "Hard drive" (File Cabinet). Does this make since?

When I recommended you use Digital Dolly, I was explaining how to use it. You will have to download it to a folder on your hard drive. Then expand it with a "unzip" utility into that same folder. You will need to use a program to write it to a CD-R. It will have to be saved in the file format .iso . It is just another will type of file like .doc, .jpg, .gif, .exe, but allows your computer to use it to boot your computer. Without being saved to this type of file format the program will not work. Make since?

I hope I have not confused you futher?

Edited by acklan, 18 December 2005 - 12:08 PM.

#5 felinepeachy

felinepeachy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

Acklan.......you are so good. Thanks for the info. Will I ever be a smart as you? I will do the Dolly thingy you mentioned and see what it says. Have a great Christmas!!! :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

One more thing. If you are not sure....DON"T! You can't reverse some of the action of some of these features. Let us know how it works out.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users