Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse functionality with scrolling and highlighting impaired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ML4648

ML4648

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Good morning,

I'm trying to help my mother with her computer, which in the last day has developed an issue with pointing, clicking and highlighting text.

A few examples:
1. Left clicking on the right hand side scroll bar is inconsistent at best, and the only way to get a web page (or word document) to scroll down is to use the wheel on the mouse. Moving up leads to the same issues.
2. Clicking is delayed and/or improperly executed. Trying to press "send" on an email will take 2 or 3 times, for example. Or a click you made previously will execute a couple seconds later.
3. Highlighting text is also disjointed and/or disconnected from the movements of the mouse. It appears to be less impacted dragging and highlighting while moving the mouse from left to right than vice versa, but it still is not functioning properly. You can highlight parts of words, sentences or paragraphs, but it will let up or stop before you intend to.
4. Overall, she's reporting that the computer is moving slower.

In the last 12 hours, I've run Windows' version of a computer scan, and it came up with 12 errors and 6 that could not be fixed, but of course it doesn't list them for you (the fixed ones or the remaining issues). It also said there were over 200 registry items, but only 190 or so were repaired. Again, no details.

I also ran her AVG, which came up clean, and I downloaded Ad-Aware, which came up with what seemed to be 12 innocuous items and removed them all (minor spyware like adclick, etc.)

She runs Windows 7 and only uses the internet for email, news reading, and ancestry searches. Her downloads are limited to archival pictures and files for her family tree searches (pdfs and jpegs) and has not downloaded any new programs that she can think of in the last day or week or month.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron laptop from 2010, and the mouse is a wireless Logitech (keyboard, which is working fine for alternatives to cut, paste, etc and drag and highlight) is also wireless logitech.

If there's any other info needed, please let me know, and thank you in advance for your help!
Christian (on behalf of Mary Lee)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Check your operating system's mouse pointer settings in Control Panel and try lowering the speed under the Pointer Options tab. When set too fast, the mouse may jump all over the desktop at the slightest touch.

If you have a wireless mouse, low batteries can result in weak, mixed or no signals that can affect its functionality so start by replacing them. If you are using a ball mouse, remove it and clean the rollers as dirt and gunk will cause erratic behavior. If its an optical mouse, "jumpiness" and "jerky" movements can result if using it on a glossy surface or reflective mouse pad. In some cases using multiple or uneven mouse pads can produce the same results. As a test, try placing it on a piece of newspaper or rubberized pad to see if that resolves the problem.

If that does not help, confirm that the mouse works on another machine. It is possible the mouse could be defective or has gone bad. Another thing to try is to use a different mouse or a PS2 adapter if its a USB mouse.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ML4648

ML4648
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you for the tips. In between posting and this reply, the scan and removals must have worked because the mouse and computer seem to be working up to par again. It was good to learn about the possibilities though, and once again I appreciate the help from this site. Only used it three or four times, but always great and thorough advice.

CL

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the kind words and you're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users