Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

This is really frustrating. (Everyone's heard that one before) My laptop is a Toshiba M35 S320 running XP Pro, SP2. I have my valid disk and reformatted and reinstalled yesterday. I then spent several hours installing Office 2003 Pro, all critical updates, and my other software. After dinner, I tried to turn on the laptop and received the following message:

NTLDR is missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

After googling and searching various topics, I tried to follow these steps:

If you get the "NTLDR is Missing" error, follow these instructions:

1. Load Windows XP CD into CD drive.
2. Make sure BIOS is set to boot to CD drive.
3. Boot the computer from CD.
4. At menu, press "R" to load Recovery Console.
5. Select the installation to be fixed.
*The following instructions assume CD-ROM is labeled as drive D and the hard drive partition the windows installation is on is labeled as drive C. Replace the letters accordingly.
6. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\" and press ENTER.
7. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\" and press ENTER.
8. Remove CD and type "EXIT" and press ENTER (to reboot your computer).

With the CD in place, I detect the ROM drive spinning and the "press any key to boot from CD...." appears. I press enter and very quickly I see a flash which says something like "Setup is inspecting...". I can't read the whole thing. It is gone too quickly. At that point, the screen goes black, the fan runs, and nothing. There is no CD ROM activity, nor is there any hard drive activity according to the little light.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

What prompted you to reinstall the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

I have been "nursing" along this 2004 laptop for quite a while. My sound does not work intermittently and when I reinstall the driver, sometime it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. In any case, I have found that if I start with a reformat and fresh install, the sound will work for a few months. I have to stop at SP2 because SP3 crashes my machine. (I found out this tidbit through much trial and error). Anyway, I have been backing up and starting fresh every couple of months or so in order to have sound. I have no idea why this happens.

See: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic364843.html/page__p__2043248__fromsearch__1#entry2043248

and, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic348798.html/page__p__1941785__fromsearch__1#entry1941785

This last time went just like every time. I went thru multiple restarts after each driver, 77 critical updates, installed AVG, OFFICE 2003, set up Outlook, etc. Then, we went out to dinner. When I returned home and tried to start the computer..... Errrggghhh!!!!!!

I can't get past the flash "Setup, etc......" It just stalls and nothing happens. Ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

FWIW, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

Louis

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hi Louis, and "Yes, I'm back again." Your link is to Windows 2000, so I assume that the same rules apply? However, I have no idea how to get past the "stall point" just after "Press any key to boot from CD". That's my big problem. I see the steps to copy NTLDR once I get to the recovery console. I just can't get that far. For some reason, it is not booting from the disk. Ideas?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2832

Louis

#7 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Louis, this offers no solution to my machine's inability to boot from the CD? Clearly, I have options if I can get past the "stall". I then could utilize the Windows recommended steps to fix the problem. Maybe you are misunderstanding my dilemma.

"With the CD in place, I detect the ROM drive spinning and the "press any key to boot from CD...." appears. I press enter and very quickly I see a flash which says something like "Setup is inspecting...". I can't read the whole thing. It is gone too quickly. At that point, the screen goes black, the fan runs, and nothing. There is no CD ROM activity, nor is there any hard drive activity according to the little light."

"Failure to boot from CD" is my problem right now. If I can get running, then I can start using the remedies per the links you provided. Thanks as always for your help.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

To rule out the possibility that there is a problem with your hdd go to this web site and download Toshiba's diagnostic tool. You will want the Ver. 7.0, this is a DOS file which you will make a bootable CD from. There are two tests, try running the short one, if it runs without trouble run the long test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Well...if your optical drive is dysfunctional...I don't know what to tell you.

You stated that you used the same CD to do a clean install...there is no reason it should not be bootable now that I can think of.

Louis

#10 somafox

somafox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

i didnt notice this in any post but you siad you had been nurseing the comp?i was building my comp awhile back and and misplaced the hard drives sata cable into the wrong slot the hard drive was installed to and brought up this problem.putting the cable into the right slot fixed it dunno if youve been tinkering with the harddrive but just thought id throw my two cents in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users