Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost AC Pwr..adapter works

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hirshy

hirshy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

My Dell Inspiron 9200 running XP no longer recognizes the AC adapter at all. It is the same whether plugged in or not...the battery indicates no AC pwr. I verified the adapter is working properly. Is there something simple I can change on the system board or do I need to replace the system board (I sincerely hope not!).
Thanks for any help on this...Hirshy

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2011 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

If you have a voltmeter, or have access to one check to see if there is any output from the power adapter.

Also check the connection to see if it is loose. With laptop computers this is a common problem.

I you need instructions for the use of a voltmeter I can provide them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hirshy

hirshy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yes...before I posted, as I mentioned, I verified that the adapter was putting out the correct voltage.
I also went to the system board and re-soldered all the connections to the pwr input jack. This corrected the problem in the past. But obviously something else is not allowing pwr from the adapter to get through.

What's the next step? Thanks for your help!!

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Solder in a new power jack to the motherboard. They do break internally.

Sometimes when a jack comes loose, it pulls/breaks the copper traces on the motherboard. Clean the solder points/holes on the mobo, make sure solder is actually sticking in the holes. A vac desolder tool (~$5-10) is nice to have to pull out the solder so you can see what is going on. I even have a tiny wire drill set that I use to clean them out as well.

Something to remember that on 4 layer boards, with few exceptions, the power and ground layers are the base layers, the signal planes are on the outer layers. Just because a solder joint looks good on the surface, doesn't mean it is contacting properly where it should.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 hirshy

hirshy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

Ok...sounds easy enough. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a new mother board.
I will try and find a power jack and solder it in.
I will be back to let everyone know what happens!

#6 hirshy

hirshy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

I just installed the new jack. :blink:
No go. Same issue. When you said it's a four layer board, does that mean I have to solder the leads on the top of the board as well as the bottom. I already provided enuf heat for the solder to run thru the board.

This is very frustrating!!!

Thanks!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Most manufacturers use a technique know as through hole soldering. The solder flows through the hole soldering both the component and trace sides of the board.

The important part of the solder joint is the trace side, there needs to be a good solder connection between the component leg and the trace. Don't over heat the traces, this can cause the trace to lift off the board.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users