Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't boot. No video, 3 beeps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hi. I'm having some trouble with my computer. As of this morning when I power my computer on no video shows on the monitor (though the monitor appears to work) and 3 loud beeps sound from the computers internal speaker. I've done some googling but haven't found much help. I do not know my computers BIOS and as the computer doesn't boot, I don't really know how to figure that out. I also have no idea if I have any manual with it (got the computer a couple years ago refurbished. Will need to look for the box and see if a manuals in there)I also cannot post any sort of DXDIAG or hijackthis since the computer does not boot.

When booted, after a few seconds the computer makes a long loud beep like "Beeeeeeep!" and then two short ones. The sort ones come in rapid succession of each other "Beepbeep!"

I actually first encountered this problem yesterday after exiting a game. Upon exiting the monitor went black and gave me the generic sorta message the monitor gives if the computers been shut down and the monitors shutting down followed by the beeps. I had to manually shut the computer off. Upon restarting I got the same problem with the beeps. I let it sit for 5 minutes and then tried again and it started (though with some issue. However this morning it would not boot and gives the beeps.

Is there any sort of sound guide I could find t these beeps so I can listen and tell what these beeps mean? The guides I've found require me to know my bios and I don't know them.

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Each motherboard maker has their own set of BEEP codes the BIOS sends out to the system speaker during the bootstrap procedure.

In order to provide accurate information, you need to post your motherboard's make and FULL model number.

Then I can check the web site for your BIOS beep code results and offer a suggestion.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Could you tel me how to figure out the motherboards maker? Is it on the motherboard itself?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yes this would be printed on the motherboard, usually it is stamped somewhere in the vicinity of the RAM slots on the top side of the motherboard.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

I am not trying to confuse you here, but I am some-what providing an early answer, since I tend to believe you have a computer with the AWARD BIOS built into it.

Here is a link to a list of BIOS beep codes for various BIOS vendors.

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

I will provide you with a quick answer to your BIOS beep code, which I tend to believe is one long and two short beeps.

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

This would mean your video processor has either failed or is victim of oxidation related problems if it is an add-on video card which is inserted into either a AGP, PCI or PCI-E slot.

If your video processor is built into the motherboard, in other words integrated, you may have a failing motherboard.

If this is an add-on card in a slot, a simple fix can be just removing the video card from its slot, and returning it again, this will disturb any oxidation build up.

If this fails, your video card could be defective and require a replacement.

Bruce.

#6 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Though I have not opened the case to get the number of the motherboard yet, video card trouble was my hunch.

The past month or so I have had some video trouble. Isues of drivers failing, the screen becoming garbled and pixelated, that stuf. I had a feeling it was on it's death throes. I know we're not certain yet, though.

I'll post back when I can get the motherboard manufacture number. Sometime this afternoon.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

I will wait for your reply, but I want you to check to see what the monitor is connected to while you are inside the computer.

If there is a vertical board that it is connected to which is in a slot, this would mean you have what is called an add-on video card.

The video card makes a connection to the motherboard through contacts on the boards edge and is wedged into a slot where those contacts make contact with other contacts. I know sounds like I am repeating myself huh?

The problem with this type of connection is the two contacts are made of different metals, usually copper and tin alloys.

The Earth's atmosphere has moisture and a large degree of contaminates that float through the air.
These two get together and create a corrosive chemical that corrodes metals.

A great example for discussion is the 1 cent coin, which is made of copper, zinc and nickel alloys.
The coin starts off as a shiny golden color, but over time oxidation and corrosives in the air discolor the coin to appear dark and dull looking.

This layer that builds up is non-conductive, it acts like an insulator and builds up what is called resistance.

In electrical circuits, this same layer builds up where two metals are wedged together, over time, the current passing from one metal to the other is reduced when oxidation takes place, the layer acts like an insulator and creates resistance that increases as time passes.

In the beginning, this may create random issues that come and go, but eventually, as this resistance increases, the circuit involved becomes more problematic to the point it fails to work at all.

If you have an add-on video card, I want to warn you not to ever touch the gold colored contacts on the boards edge that goes into the slot.
The oils on your fingers contain acids that can eventually eat away at those contacts and cause issues down the line.

I suggest if you have an add-on card, safely and carefully remove the card from its slot, and re-install it again.

Reboot the computer, you may find your video problem has gone away because the obstruction was removed.

Another warning you must follow, any time you intend on touching anything inside your computer, you must first take precautions against static electricity and the damage it can cause to the motherboard.

Touch the metal computer case before touching anything inside the computer case and make sure your computer is not connected to the AC power outlet.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 February 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#8 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Is this the manufacture code for the motherboard?I don't really know.

HT2000 MCP61PM-AM REV:1 . 0A

15-V01-011011

The card that the monitor is hooked up to can be detached from the motherboard (it's in a "slot" though it's horizontal not vertical, it seems?) is that an addon card?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

Please check this link below and let me know if this motherboard best matches your motherboard.

http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/Shared/4006203R/4006203Rnv.shtml

Below is a link to an image of what an add-on video card looks like.

add-on Video card

It is this device that you would have to remove from the slot and re-insert into the slot again, just make sure it is fully pushed into the slot and locked down.

Doing this can remove or disturb any mechanical obstructions that may be preventing the circuits from making full contact.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 February 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#10 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Well I don't know how similar other motherboards look but that looks alot like mine (or what I can see. Parts are covered up by some things like a fan and such). The slots are the same color and in the same place, the purple thing in the upper left is there. The white thing in the middle I don't see but theres a fan there. It is a prebuilt gateway computer as well.

The card that I had detatched from the motherboard was in the orange slot there. Was that it? I really don't know alot about this stuff, sorry.
I cannot view that attachment. Says I do not have permission.

Edited by 8-bit Hero, 19 February 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Okay I tried to re-use a pic I uploaded to BC a while back, I'll post an image here for you to see without having to click anything.

Attached File  Videocard.jpg   7.14KB   2 downloads

This is what an add-on video card looks like.

If the image is too small click it to enlarge it a bit.

The blue connector in the upper left corner is where the monitor connects.

The other two next to the blue one are HDMI and DVI connectors, some newer video cards come with those connectors. The DVI connector is for digital video output to a digital computer monitor or digtal HDTV screen.

The DVI unlike the HDMI can be connected to the input of a digital video recorder or another recording device.
Most devices do not have an HDMI input that I am aware at this time.

Some also come with an S-Video jack, however this card above does not have that jack.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 February 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#12 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well the top does not look the same at all similar but it has those ports an connectors and stuff. I removed it from the slot and put it back in. I know what card my computer said it had if it helps determine if it was add on

nvidia geforce 8300

It also had a small fan on it.

Same result after putting it back in and turning it on. the 3 beeps.

Also months ago (around late november) before the video problems, I had heard loud annoying buzzing from the computer. I opened it, the large fan seemed to be working, I didn't check any other fans, The buzzing continued for a few days before abruptly stopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users