Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MB, CPU, RAM, But No Video

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gd2246

gd2246

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hi guys I just registered to this forum but I have read through a lot of it but could not find a solution to my problem, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

From what I've read everyone always asks for more info so sorry this is gonna be so long.

I just bought a brand new Biostar G41D3 MB, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU and Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500), but after install CPU + System + Graphics Card fans spin & the Power LED + HDD LED light up but nothing else, no video signal whatsoever.

I have scoured the internet & tried all the recommendations of the MANY people who have posted similar problems. These include:

Swapping monitors (3 total including an old CRT)
Swapping from onboard VGA to my ATI card (the card was not installed at first attempted power up)
Resetting CMOS jumper
Swapping/completely removing RAM (which as stated was also brand new & verified compatible with this MB by Crucial's website)
Checked to make sure there were no more or less built in risers on my case (they all lined up perfectly)
Disconnected everything except CPU + Heatsink & Fan, removed board from case & tried on cardboard box with only 24 pin + 4 pin power cords connected (including repeating the swapping/completely removing RAM)

All I ever get is 1 Beep & no video at all, but as I said fans, LEDs come on.

I have found so many posts all over the internet with the same problem & after exhausting all of the above options they always say MB is DOA & to RMA it, so that's what I did. Now here's the most infuriating thing that has now driven me to this point... The replacement board does the same exact thing!

All above steps repeated same problem! So now instead of just reading other peoples' posts I joined this forum & hoped you guys could help me out if I listed my exact situation.

Again sorry this is so long but in all other posts responders always asked for more specific info & it did even say that in the Forum Posting Rules Sticky Thread, so I'm trying to list everything that may be relevant.

Here's how this all started:

I've had a stock HP Pavilion a750y for many years & a few months ago it started freezing randomly, eventually getting more & more frequent. After ruling out software problems (eventually reformatted), I suspected it was the PSU.

I replaced the stock HP 350 Watt with an Antec 500 Watt but same problem. So I then replaced the old ATI Radeon 256 MB with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1GB), problem persists.

I then thought hard drive, bought a new Maxtor 1TB but no joy. tried disconnecting the DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, Floppy, etc. Same issue.

At this point I knew it must be my motherboard/CPU or both, which has led me to where I am now. So my current Specs are:

Biostar G41D3 MB (Double brand new)
Intel Core 2 Duo (Brand new & I did replace thermal paste when installed on 2nd MB)
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1066 PC3-8500 (Brand new)
Antec 500 Watt BP500U (Practically new)
Maxtor 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (Practically new)
HP DVD Writer DVD630
HP DVD ROM (OEM, not sure of model but doubt it's important, am prepared to live without it)
HP Floppy (OEM, not sure of model but doubt it's important, am prepared to live without it)

Please someone tell me there is something I have not tried/thought of. I am at my wit's end.

Thanks,
Gerard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:52 AM

Have you tried using only one memory stick? and switching them out? one beep from what im finding on that motherboard (which isnt much, did it come with a manual when you bought it) seems to indicate a memory error.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 gd2246

gd2246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

Have you tried using only one memory stick? and switching them out? one beep from what im finding on that motherboard (which isnt much, did it come with a manual when you bought it) seems to indicate a memory error.

Yes that was mentioned in other peoples posts so I have tried all combinations of arranging the memory. The paper manual is just a fold-out diagram of the MB, but it did have a more complete one on the disc it came with. It says its an AMI BIOS and one beep from what I understand is either a "Boot Block Beep Code" meaning "No media present. (Insert diskette in floppy drive A:), a "POST BIOS Beep Code" meaning "Memory refresh timer error". The manual doesn't say anything about troubleshooting the Boot Block Codes, but for the POST BIOS codes, it says for 1 beep u should "Reseat the memory, or replace with known good modules."

So I have tried that & the memory is brand new out of the package Crucial which I've never had a problem with & I did check on the Crucial website by entering this MB that I was going to buy & it recognized the board & said this was what I should get. So I'm inclined to believe it's not the RAM but at the moment I have only DDR & DDR2 modules in my house as this is the only board I've got that takes DDR3 so I have no way to test them. How likely is it that both sticks would be shipped defective from Crucial? Thanks for trying to help.

EDIT: The MB is currently out of the case on a piece of wood with only the CPU + Heatsink/Fan, 1 Mem stick & only the 24 & 4 pin power cables connected to it & I have no beeps at all now, so that leads me to believe it was a Boot Block Beep Code because the floppy drive is not currently attached.

Edited by gd2246, 18 February 2011 - 02:37 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

Did you have a floppy installed on it? if so how old? If I recall right, the small factor IDE used by floppys, there are two different standards, both have the same connection, but wont work with each other.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 gd2246

gd2246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

Did you have a floppy installed on it? if so how old? If I recall right, the small factor IDE used by floppys, there are two different standards, both have the same connection, but wont work with each other.

At one point the floppy was attached to the board, it came stock with my HP Pavilion a750y which I got like 5 years ago, so I guess that's old. But I have tried many different configurations including the floppy not attached at all (to MB or PSU), still no video. I don't see why that would cause this problem, unless you are saying that simply by attaching that floppy that could have somehow resulted in the frying of both boards? I'm sure you know more than me but that just seems highly unlikely considering the fact that all fans & LEDs continue to come on. When the board was installed with & without the floppy it behaved the same way. If you for instance didn't bother looking at the monitor & were looking into the case with the side off it would appear to be a perfectly operating machine while powered on.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

no, it probably didnt. Have you tried resetting the CMOS (most motherboards have a jumper, refer to the manual. If you cant find the jumper, remove the battery for 30 seconds)

picard5.jpg

#7 gd2246

gd2246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I've tried resetting the CMOS many times, haven't tried removing the battery. At this point anything's worth a shot. Thanks, will give it a try.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

long shot, but according the motherboards memory support list, crucial is not on the list. That could be part of your problem. I would say its either that or again, another DOA motherboard.

picard5.jpg

#9 gd2246

gd2246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

Removing battery had no effect. I was made aware of that memory support list on another forum, and right now I'm leaning towards thinking this is what I need, as it is specifically listed on that page & Crucial is not. But the memory I have is "Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Biostar G41D3 Motherboard." I guess I was just hoping you or someone here might realize something simple I missed as this has been going on for a long time for me now.

Thank you for the replies.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Well, personally, I wouldnt think it was the memory-I have, on several occasions, ran memory in motherboards that wasnt on the compatibile list-most manufacturers dont test all memory types they just test the most common ones and if they work throw them up there. Looks like Biostar, in this case just grabbed a handful of random sets and tested them. Its possible that the memory isnt compatible-but I would lean more towards the motherboard-my advice is RMA the board and see if you can get a different brand such as ASUS or Gigabyte-something with a little more support.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users