Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping Icmp Echo Test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

I have one home computer with SBC DSL service. The system has a 2Wire 1000hg modem. I have Norton Systemworks 2005, Norton Personal Firewall 2006, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and Ad-Aware programs. I ran some security checks to get an idea of my protection. The 2Wire has a firewall along with the Window XP SP2 firewall. I have both of these deactivated and I use the Norton 2006 Firewall. Symantec's test results said the security status is SAFE. It also said the ICMP PING is open, all other ports are stealth. Sygate's test said all ports are blocked but the protocol ICMP Type 8 status is open. GRC's PING ICMP Echo test failed. Other ports were blocked. Is there a setting on the Norton Personal Firewall that needs to be changed? The installation says to use the default settings. I presume this is a secuity threat that I should try and fix. I haven't messed with any settings, they are still on default.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

I'm replying to myself, is that ok. Someone else on here recommended I use my personal firewall with my SBC 2Wire Modem's firewall. After going through the 2Wire's settings I found a setting for stealth mode and PING. I did the security checks again and each one passed.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:59 PM

socom 004,

By all means it's permitted to post again if you have resolved your problem prior to anybody posting a reply. Just as an FYI, you have up to 24 hours to edit your post as long as no one replies. Once a reply is attached to the thread, you'll need to post anew, within that thread.

Be (Post Thread) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the editting tip Animal.

Edited by socom 004, 18 December 2005 - 11:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users