Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling graphics driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heisenbergsaysrelax

heisenbergsaysrelax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

So someone (my son) decided to uninstall the graphics driver on my laptop - an HP G72 running Windows 7.
I thought I would just be able to get the driver from Windows Update. The driver showed up in Windows Update "Intel Corporation - Display - Intel® HD Graphics". When I try to install through Windows Update, though, the update fails, giving the error code 800705b4.
Googling the error code, I found a Microsoft help site that said to try the Windows Update troubleshooter. The troubleshooter told me to try running Windows Update again. When I did, I got the same result as before.
I tried going to HP's website and downloading the driver and installing it from there. The installer ran for a while, and then an error popped up reading "An error occurred while registering one or more components. Setup will exit." with just an OK button. I clicked OK, and the installer popped up, ready to try again, so I went through the process once more, and got the same result.
I tried, based on advice received elsewhere, to download the installer from HP's site, and then use 7-zip to extract the .exe file, then go into Device Manager and update the driver, and then direct the wizard to that folder. After it tried to install for about 10 minutes, I got the following message: Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
If someone could help, that'd be much appreciated - I'm not too familiar with driver issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

Did you download from here on HP site?

There are 28 different HP G72 series listed. Which series do you have?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 February 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#3 heisenbergsaysrelax

heisenbergsaysrelax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Sorry, totally spaced that one out - it's a G72-b60US. I downloaded from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users