Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I change my IP address?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AlyRuth

AlyRuth

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

I've been working on this for about a day now, gone onto all kinds of websites and done all kinds of methods, but my IP address just won't change. I'll post the methods by which I've done:
  • The ipconfig /release and /renew method.
  • Unplugged my modem for two hours.
  • The method described on WikiHow--except using Wireless Network Connection instead of Local Area Connection since my computer is wireless.
  • The method described on WikiHow in the "tips" section.
  • Unplug modem, delete cookies, turn modem back on.
None have so far worked.
Using a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card on Windows XP connected to a WAP-2.

Edited by AlyRuth, 17 February 2011 - 07:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

The IP is assigned by your Internet Service provider.

To change the IP that the Internet see`s you would need to use a Proxy service. There are some free one`s available but they usually slow down your surfing.

May we ask why you wish to change your IP?

#3 AlyRuth

AlyRuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

So there's no way I can change it?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

So there's no way I can change it?

To change the IP that the Internet see`s you would need to use a Proxy service. There are some free one`s available but they usually slow down your surfing.

#5 AlyRuth

AlyRuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

Tell me if it's possible to change my IP or not without a proxy, or I'm going somewhere else.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

No. Due to the way the Internet works it is basically not possible.

#7 AlyRuth

AlyRuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

Okay...
/thread

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

As a normal rule we don't close topics unless there is a compelling reason.

Just as an addendum, depending on your service provider since they own the IP, they may have requirements that need to be met before you can force an IP change. Some service providers will change it if you call and ask.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

If you only have a modem, you may need to remove the modems power and leave off for a couple of days. If you have a router connected to your modem, then there might be a release you can do to retrieve a new IP - depends on the router. Also I have had routers that everytime you rebooted them it would get a new IP address from your ISP.

But, what was offered before about the proxy would change your IP from others point of view.

The question, I would ask, is why do you need a different IP address. It is really just a place holder for your ISP to direct traffic your way. Unless you are being blocked from some website via your IP, I do not see the need.

EDIT OK, sorry reread your post, you need to set up a static ip address if you are trying to just change your internal ip

Edited by nitekram, 18 February 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#10 AlyRuth

AlyRuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Yes, I went to 4____ and apparently my IP is permabanned from their site even though I haven't been there in a few months or a year (and I never did anything malicious on there) and it says I'm not allowed to appeal the ban again--even though I haven't appealed it. I'm guessing someone else had the same IP as me at one point and got banned. Anyway, it's a good time waste so I kind of want to change my IP. If I can't, I can deal. Proxies don't work on 4____ properly--you can't post (CAPTCHA doesn't load) and the majority are already banned anyway, even super new ones.

you need to set up a static ip address if you are trying to just change your internal ip

And, uh, how exactly do I do that?
Nevermind, I'm stupid. You put in links for a reason. Don't mind the retard, just passing through.

Edit: Just found this Comcast specific article. I'll try it later on tonight to see if it works. No one bother replying until I update this again with the outcome.

Edit 2: No good. But I'm doing this from a Wireless computer. Would that have any effect on the outcome?

Edited by AlyRuth, 18 February 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Comcast gives their IP's out via MAC Addresses. The MAC Address is stored in their database. Until there is a power outage or your modem is rebooted/powered off for a long time you will have the same IP.

#12 AlyRuth

AlyRuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Until there is a power outage or your modem is rebooted/powered off for a long time you will have the same IP.

Well then come on, thunder storms!
Ah well, thanks for the help, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users