Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I connect?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 E Schloe

E Schloe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

I recently had Windows Protection Suite take me for a ride. I finally got that off the computer and thought I had gotten back to normal. However, I still can't connect to the internet. My incoming line goes to a cable modem, then to a wireless router and then to the computer. I have a laptop running off the same internet connection via the wireless router. The connection on the laptop is fine. I have even tried connecting directly from the cable modem to the computer but it won't find the connection. I checked in Device Manager and it says the networking card is working properly and it is enabled. I have tried going into Internet Options and trying to set up the connection manually but because the connection is always on, I don't need to set it up that way. The troubleshooting suggestion given by Windows are to make sure the internet connection options are set to automatic which they already are. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 al57

al57

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

you may need a wireless adapter for your computer depending on how old the comp is alot of older desktops don't have a wireless card built in like
laptops.you can try setting up a homegroup network.that is done control panel network options. it will ask you for a password which is on the
bottom of the router. should be an eigt digit number under the serial number. If that eight number doesn't work run the installation disk that came with the router and there should be a 32 letter and number password. LoL

#3 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

I recently had Windows Protection Suite take me for a ride. I finally got that off the computer and thought I had gotten back to normal.

this may still be blocking access - whats the full details of the product ?

you could try a tcp/ip reset - see below
also post back an ipconfig /all

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
ETAF

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Another small suggestion is to unplug the router then wait a few seconds then plug it back in then try to connect, I say this because sometimes malware may effect the router as well as the computer it was on, also be sure that the malware is gone. I would try this before doing the above.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users