Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All memory wont show up in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 seymourz

seymourz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hello, I hope someone can assist me with an unusual problem.

My parents have an Abit AV8 3rd eye motherboard which I have been updating for them.
They have Win 7 (64bit) installed and have 2x1Gb Kingston PC3200 400Mhz DDR and everything runs pretty smooth.
However as they like to do a lot of photo work I thought that they'd benefit from using the two spare RAM slots and so purchased 2 more 1Gb sticks of the same memory from the same supplier.

I installed them and they would not be recognised in the BIOS, but within windows it found the RAM but said that only 2Gb was usable.
I figured that as the mobo was pretty old that it may require a BIOS flash to the latest version (which I succesfully did).

However this has not helped as the Full 4Gb are still not recognised and if I now try to boot the PC it pauses at the begining of the POST process where you are told you can press DEL or TAB key. I can not get past this frozen page by pressing any keys.
Strangely if I remove one (or two) of the four sticks, I can get into the BIOS and even boot windows - but still with only 2Gb available (and sometimes 1Gb depending on which stick is removed). CPU-Z can see all three sticks and reports the correct settings.

I have tested the memory using memtest86+ in pairs and all are fine.
I have tried the RAM in pratically every combination you can think of (my fingers hurt :( ).
I know that this mobo says that it can only run the 4Gb at 333Mhz so I changed the settings in the BIOS for this but still no luck.

Is this just a case of some sort of incompatability between specific RAM or is this mobo just a bit old for 4Gb to reliably work on it.
It was bought a long time ago when 4Gb seemed overkill for most.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by seymourz, 17 February 2011 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi Seymourz

Looking up the motherboard seem`s to indicate that when using single 1 Gig modules as you are it will only support\show 2 Gigs.

In order for it to see\use more you need to upgrade to 2 Gig single sticks. The mobo will support up to 8 Gig. If the machine is running a 64 bit Operating System.

Going to 2 Gig single sticks would also increase the overall performance of the machine as it will then operate in dual channel mode instead of single channel which it is doing with the current\original memory configuration.

#3 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for your reply

In the manual it has a clear table diagram showing that you can install up to 1Gb in each slot for a total of 4Gb.
I suppose this maximum of 4Gb may have been increased in subsequent BIOS updates (not sure on that) but it does say that I should be able to run the four sticks at DDR333 in dual channel mode.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

That is not the impression I get from reading this taken from the link provided.

>>CPU Integrated Dual Channel Memory Controller

* Four 184-pin DIMM sockets (Un-buffered Non-ECC DIMM)
* Supports 2 DIMM Single Channel DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 2GB)
* Supports 4 DIMM Dual Channel DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 8GB)

Going to have a look at what updates are available for the board now.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

What is the model number of the board?

#6 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, I see that on the website, if you look at the manual section 2-3 here you'll see what my original manual also states.

I'm now wondering if a BIOS update has altered the maximum to 8Gb and who knows what else? Although with the original BIOS version I had it still didn't work.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Will have a look at what BIO`s updates are available for your motherboard if you will provide the model #.

There may be one for this issue. But to flash the BIO`s hoping it will fix something without first knowing that it is the reason the update was released is risky.

D\l`ing the manual now to have a read.

#8 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

As far as I can see the mobo is an Abit AV8 3rd eye v1.1 with BIOS ID:28 now installed

Edited by seymourz, 17 February 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#9 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

I always leave a BIOS update as a last resort as I am aware that things can easily go wrong.

However as I got the mobo years ago when it just came out I figured after all my testing that the BIOS had probably not been fully tested for using 4Gb which was not really a common amount to have back then.

I'm all too aware of mobo manufacturers releasing untested features and claims only for a quick slew of BIOS updates to actually fix the problems.

Edited by seymourz, 17 February 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

The manual does seem to disagree with what the site states.

Have you thoroughly looked through the BIOS menus? Some will have a sort of hidden menu that will allow for a 4 Gig switch. My Gigabyte mobo has it. Had to do some digging and reading to find it when I jumped to 4 Gigs and initially it was not seen.

#11 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

Hey ThunderZ

I have searched aroud the BIOS and can not see any mention of a 4Gb switch.
Also, since the BIOS update I now have additional options in the DRAM Configuration section, these are as follows:

• DRAM Command Rate
  • Burst Length
  • Bank interleving
  • 32 bit Dram Memory Hole
  • Bottom of 32-bit[31:24] IO
  • MTRR mapping mode

I thought I'd post a shot of memtest86+ when testing just two sticks of RAM
This shot was taken when the BIOS had just been installed and for some reason there was slight overclocking of the system by default. I did set everything back so that there was no overclock.
Posted Image
The shot is just prior to the first pass completion and I did test all sticks and all were fine.
As you can see (if you ignore the slight overclock) they are correctly detected as Dual Channel DDR400

If I disable the Full Screen LOGO Show option in the BIOS I would normally see this sort of screen.
Posted Image
This shot was taken when I had three sticks installed which is why it says Single Channel. 64-bit and I've lowered the memory clock from 400 to 333 as the manual says that for 4x1Gb sticks I need this.
As you can see it only detects 2Gb (as expected) because the third is rightly being ignored until a fourth goes in.

When I insert the 4th and final stick the system halts with only the Main Processor line being displayed. The Memory testing lines never appear and like I said before I can not gain access to the BIOS at that point.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

I`m scratching my head.

I did d\l the manual and had a look through it.
Did not see anything for a 4 Gig switch either. There are a mobo manufacturer or two that have some hidden settings in the BIOS. But these are normally documented in the manual and it will instruct the key(s) to enter to access them.

I`m going to bring this post to the attention of our hardware Guru. Maybe he can shed some light on the matter.

Edited by ThunderZ, 18 February 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#13 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

It is a bit confusing isn't it

Thanks for the help so far ThunderZ, let's see if it can baffle your hardware Guru as well :wink:

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hello, I am not the Guru that ThunderZ called upon, but since I seen your thread, I figured I'd jump in and see if I can help out.

I am just curious as to what would take place if you were to enter your BIOS setup utility and on the MAIN menu, look for the words HALT ON.........ERRORS

The options here are usually KEYBOARD, MOUSE, ALL or NONE.

Try changing this to HALT ON NO ERRORS, save to CMOS and reboot the system.

Please let me know the results and I'll see if I can get you on your way to resolving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 February 2011 - 08:54 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 seymourz

seymourz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hey MrBruce1959

I just tried your suggestion but it made no difference.

It still pauses when I insert the 4th stick, only displaying the Main Processor line (see above image).

With 3 sticks installed, only 2Gb recognised as before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users