Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gparted not showing existing partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 apple2user

apple2user

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I have a second hdd which is partiioned (in Windows XP) into 2 partitions. There are plenty of files there. They are all accessible (in Windows as well as in Ubuntu).

I ran Gparted trying to resize one of the partitions but only one partition is listed! Seems to me the partition table on my second drive is corrupted. I know the MBR on my first drive was corrupted because it took forever to boot. I have since re-partitioned and re- installed Windows on that. Probably the second drive was affected at the same time.

The question is how to fix the partition table on the second drive. There is too much data to backup and so I cannot just delete the partitions and start again.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully for some useful suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

http://www.ptdd.com/

Why to choose EASEUS Partition Recovery?

EASEUS Partition Recovery, a free and easy-to-use partition recovery software to recover deleted or lost partition, takes up one of the best partition recovery software for you to keep owing to the following features:

* Free for both home and commercial users.
* Use it with ease: a wizard interface walks you through all the partition recovery process.
* Recover deleted or lost partition quickly and easily.
* Offer several optional scan areas helps locate the lost partition quickly.
* Support FAT, NTFS, Ext2/Ext3 file system.
* Support IDE / ATA / SATA / SCSI drives.
* Bootable disk based on WinPE
* Support Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7.

Download link :
http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/download.htm

#3 apple2user

apple2user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have found out that my second drive was partitoned with dynamic volumes leading to Gparted not quite understanding it.

Apparently Partition Wizard can change it back to a basic volume. Will be trying that.

#4 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

I had great results from this advice: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383154.html/page__st__15 Please scroll down to Buddy215's post for the instruction. It worked great and rebuilt my MBR.

My partitions weren't showing up either, neither Win XP nor Linux Mint. I used the above tool, plus I used Easeus Data Recovery. I didn't even let the whole data recovery program run. Just recovering a bit to tell my computer that the partitions existed was enough in my case, which was very similar to yours.

Good luck!

Edited by floridaze, 17 March 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#5 Shafyn4

Shafyn4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

nice, friendly up !!
My heavy favorite hobby is formatting narration. I am very renewed person. I often read many professional books and weave them too. I am a heavy essay-writer I facilitation the students and varied people to weave well goes. The pay is definitely third-rate. If you are busy greatly man, you can buy the professional help. I understand you must be very satisfied. You can waste your main free time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users